Existing Member?

taste of life

Eterna Roma...

ITALY | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [316]

We run, running all the time, running to the people, places, plains, future... But this city always seems to be calm. Really eternal - it haven't changed since thousand years. The same Colosseum, Forum and St. Peter's Cathedral.

The eternal city stands on seven hills and from each one of them you can see the yellow tiled roofs of the houses. If you close your eyes for a moment and just listen to the voice of the city...for everyone it has a story to tell.

My favorite place in Rome is a forum hill. There is a small orange tree garden with a view on the city and Vatican. It is a calm and shadow place out of the tourists route.

When I came there - I was already very tired, 'cause the temperature that April day was about +30 degrees C. So, I have decided to have a rest a little bit and to take a seat on a bench in the shadow of cypresses.

Imagine my surprise when I suddenly discovered that I was not alone there. These were not tourists, no! It was an old lady feeding cats! I have no idea where did they come from - I can swear I had not seen them when i sat on that bench. Really, she was like a ghost from the old times: old, but with beautiful features; very elegantly dressed and with an accurate hairstyle. As for me she looked like a real Italian woman, the type of woman I would like to be at her age.

She soon went away. It was strange to see a local person in the heart of Forum, which is always full of tourist crowds. Frankly speaking, I don't remember much about what kind of people I saw in Rome; I don't remember neither shops nor restaurants. In my memory the image of that old lady will always be associated with real Rome and genuine Italy.

I think that was a moment when I understood Italy through its people.

                                                                                  by Iana

Tags: italy, people, rome

About iana1986


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.