Existing Member?

taste of life

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 1 April 2012 | Views [348] | Scholarship Entry

ITALY - THE TASTE OF LIFE
What would you like to see from your window? Fountain, which became famous thanks to Fellini or a small cozy garden on the island? Or I would better ask – what would you like to see on your lunch plate? Pasta, mozzarella, tiramisu? Everyone has its own taste, but personally me, I prefer to start from the desert! Food in Italy is not just eating - it is a ritual, where everything has its meaning. Where, in which order, in what mood... If you want to understand Italy it is not enough just to see Coliseum and La Scala - you have to eat with an Italian! That truth I understood after a dinner with old Sicilian Don. He took me to the local trattoria - cozy, little noisy and extremely charming, taking me in my mind to a favorite Italian black and white movie. So, the first dish was mozzarella with tomatoes and basil. Mozzarella...sounds like music moza..rella.This cheese stands in line with such Worldwide known visiting cards of Italy as Coliseum, Rome and pizza. Its skin must be smooth, shiny and soft inside. When you cut mozzarella there must be a small amount of fluid, which indicates its freshness. Next what to choose - pasta or risotto? Two number one dishes and none of them want to give its garland. But, as Giuseppe Garibaldi said: "Pasta will unite Italy", I decided to support his thesis and to order pasta:))) Delicate creamy taste of pasta with ham, basil and Parmesan cheese....yes, there are things to live for! And finally desert. As Don Marcello told me, Sicily is a confectionery of Italy. Ice-cream, which you can drink through a straw, eat with a spoon or to spread it on a brioche. The final point on my menu is coffee. No more than 1 EUR per cup of coffee, drunk at the bar, is a rule that unites Italy no worse than pasta!Sitting there on a terrace after traveling around Italy and watching people I understood that wherever you go in Italy - you will feel the taste of life.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About iana1986


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.