Existing Member?

iamdat This journal is dedicated to the people and places whom I have had a chance to come across.

Lost in Bhutan - Last Day

BHUTAN | Monday, 27 December 2010 | Views [970]

Last Day – Dec 11 2010

We left Punakha for Paro at around 8.00. The weather was great. On the way we met some monkeys and stopped for a short while at Dochula Pass. It was so cloudy that most of the mountains cannot be seen. In the end we took a group photo and headed to Thimphu.

It was interesting to go backwards the journey so far. I got to observe Thimphu from a higher view. It was truly a fast-developing city with lots of constructions going on. At the same time, I found some problem with the pollution from the big trucks of India. They were releasing lots of gas exhaust.

In the afternoon, we got to meet up with Mr. Tashin, who is the manager of the tour. We then went for a trekking up the Takshan mountain to see the Takshan Dzong. The path was not as tough as that from the previous day. We climbed for around 900 meters of height. Unfortunately, no photography was allowed inside the Dzong. However, while walking down, I came across a workshop where there were two men making all the butter lamps. I decided to spend quite an amount of time there to document a story about their process.

By the time we trekked down to the car, it was near pitch black at around 6 pm. Then we had a great dinner at a local home and took a hot stone bath. It was really refreshing to relax yourself in the hot tub. As the trip was coming to the end, I just wished that we could have got a bit more time because most of the time we were behind our schedule. There were so many things to photograph, from still life, landscape to animals, humans …. The culture and religion of Bhutan are tightly connected in Buddhism.

As the end-note, the only difficulty that I had during the trip was that most of the locals thought I was a Bhutanese boy who was acting like a foreigner. Hence, they always looked at me every time I tried to take some photos or interacted with them. Usually, the Bhutanese people were very much unbothered by the foreigners.

 

 

Travel Answers about Bhutan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.