Existing Member?

iamdat This journal is dedicated to the people and places whom I have had a chance to come across.

Lost in Bhutan - Day 5

BHUTAN | Monday, 27 December 2010 | Views [994]

Day 5 – Dec 8 2010

This morning we woke up at 5.30 for a crane shoot again. Like in an operation, Jason and I slowly and secretly went a long way around to sneak close to the flock of cranes in the centre of the wetland. Afterwards, we camped inside a bush at a higher ground for around 2.5 hours, observing and photographing the cranes having their breakfast below. On the way back we came across a group of people collecting straw in the forest nearby. I then took some photos to document their job.

On our way from Phobjikha to Punakha, we went past lots of things and happenings. First were a group of mountain bulls and some shield bugs. Second was a roadblock with huge landslide. Third was a busy town that was going to be abandoned. We stopped for long at this town to catch some stories about it for the last time before it disappeared. Because of its location near to a monastery, the public businesses caused much disturbance to the monks at the monastery. I could see this easily from the presence of the monks hanging around in the town. Jason gave me a 10-minute assignment to come up with a cover photo, some story photos and a closing photo. It was really thrilling to work in such time constraints. Besides, I also got an interesting side story about the business of long-distance taxi drivers there. Next to the petrol station was the parking site where this business was going on. The drivers were shouting out the names of the destinations and passengers would come to them. There were many cities and towns being called out, and everything went fast. Customers came, got into the vehicles and left, then new vehicles moved into the site.

We reached Punakha, the ex-capital of Bhutan, at around 7 pm. After 2 days, we came back to electricity.

Tags: bhutan, dzong, monastery, monks, mountains, nature, travel, tree, trekking

 

 

Travel Answers about Bhutan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.