Existing Member?

From one place to another

Sometimes it's good to be eaten

INDIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [125] | Scholarship Entry

Imagine being surrounded by wild animals. Starving. Desperate. With crazy flame in their eyes, focused attention and enlarged nourish from rage and ecstasy as they see you. Hunting. Not caring about anything but meat. Scary, huh?

That's how historical UNESCO World Heritage site Hampi, India welcomed me. In a second after arriving it wasn't possible to get out of the bus. Every ricksha guy in the area was looking for their next meal.

"Please, move. Please, let me out," I slightly increased my voice. My words didn't matter in this cloud of noises. In my memory it's like a slow motion movie - shouting about life rocking trip, names of temples and places to visit, invitations to follow and a lot of Hampi maps shoved to my face (in an hour I couldn't find any. Take it while you can).

Suddenly I was pulled out of the bus by a strangers hand. I can't remember did I resist but at the same time I was absolutely grateful for that. It was one of riksha guys who surprisingly quickly managed to get acquainted with a friend of mine. I'm not sure on how she got out of the bus, however I was too abashed by the situation to care about it.

Previously I had decided to explore the area by foot and I told it to both of them. So the guy started to pitch himself one on one, not like the others. He was showing the map, explaining size of the area and telling about our tour plan he had already made for us for two days (as it is the least to properly explore remarkable historical remains). I didn't care about his arguments, I was trying to decide whether I could trust him.

In a minute we started to drive. Finally I noticed that it was still early morning. The wind warmed our skin. Everything felt right. I put on sunglasses, settled in the seat more comfortable and saw my friend smiling to me. We didn't mind to be eaten if the process of preparation in enjoyable.

"What's your name again? Maddi?" I asked. "So, Maddi, what's our first stop?"

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About i-am-going


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.