Existing Member?

A summer date in Hong Kong

A summer date in Hong Kong

VIETNAM | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [155] | Scholarship Entry

I will never forget the day that my roommate named Nola and I had a morning tea date in Hong Kong. I still to this day remember it vividly as if it was just yesterday. It was 4 am then I was half-asleep under a light-weight blanket, lying in a single-bed, comforting myself in the cool air from the air-conditioner. Then, Nola came to wake me up with her soft voice: “Hey, Trang. Please get up and have a farewell date before you go home!”
Changing my pajamas into a blue T-shirt and medium-length jeans, I yawned a little and went out of our room. We headed to the elevator, pressing the ground floor button in order to reach the hall lobby. After that, we walked to the pavement and called a taxi. The wind was blowing gently and elegantly in such a summer, making me refresh. We caught the taxi and Nola told the driver something about a teahouse. Though it was so early in the morning, there were some people and vehicles on the road, abiding by the rules. I joked with Nola about the traffic in my city where people would pass the red light if the road was clear like that. Despite our three-weeks-stay in the same room, we did not afford many gatherings like that. As Nola is a student in Hong Kong, she sometimes guided and explained local things to me. On the way, she said it was a pity that we got such a late chance to enjoy a morning tea date. Because today was the last day of the program, I would say goodbye to her and fly back to Vietnam.
Finally, we reached the place in my astonishment. At first, I thought it was a kind of tea drinking among poetic or romantic people in traditional dramas. Interestingly, my mind changed when I stepped into the teahouse. There were many people having several local dishes while waiters busily running around to check things. The fragrance of tea types wandered in the room, which was indeed cozy. Both Nola and I chose a table in the center, where no one sat, in order to observe everything joyfully. For our morning tea date, I chose my favorite jasmine tea while she picked light chrysanthemum tea. Apart from the delights of dim sum, we also had other different savory. The combination of delicious dim sum and a cup of tea was really unforgettable to my taste.
Finishing the date together was really special to me when it brought me bitter-sweet feelings. I felt as if I had awakened up out of a beautiful dream when I left the teahouse in Nola’s company. It would be one of the most memorable experiences to me during my stay in Hong Kong.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About huyentrang


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.