Existing Member?

Down a rolling road 1 van, 2 girls, 5 states, 6 weeks, 24 gigs, 10106 kilometres, ... oh and 8 fingers crossed ...

Kununurra - the land of great day trips and waterfalls!

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 19 March 2008 | Views [8007]

Our first trip to Kununurra definitely left us wanting more… specifically more in the way of four wheel drive capabilities, because the locals all kept telling us of amazing springs and waterfalls and great little get away spots but unfortunately all of these required more than our trusty little van could handle and again we learned our lesson with off road adventures early in the piece!

We did, under the guidance of our bar manager Jarred get out to a beautiful little spot called Molly Springs. Only 30k’s out of Kununurra there’s a little track that leads out to the springs and being wet season meant that the waterfall was running and we were lucky enough to have it all to ourselves. We packed a picnic and trudged through the long grass and sloshy sand (still with crocodiles on our minds) and set up for a relaxing day of swimming, eating and drinking. I’d been excited about going to a waterfall since we left Perth and Molly Springs was a big ole tick on my list.

The Kununurra gigs were fun, with a few memorable local characters, like our “Coach” as dubbed by the bar staff who was loveable but insisted on following us around with musical advice and repetitively slurring “I used cho ssssing in bands yyyou knooooow!”

But the town and particularly the pub treated us well and we had a great stay. Next time we’re definitely coming back with an off road vehicle and plenty of time to explore all the things that were recommended to us. This was our last stop in WA before crossing the border into the Northern Territory... looking forward to our next adventure!

Julz taking a dive

Julz taking a dive

Tags: ambassador van, kimberley, kununurra, molly springs, waterfalls

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.