Existing Member?

Elephant Nature Park

Elephant Nature Park

THAILAND | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [188] | Scholarship Entry

A visit to Thailand is not complete without some type of elephant “experience,” but many of the parks and preserves have a much darker side. While seen as sacred, too often the elephants are abused and exploited. Located near Chiang Mai, the Elephant Nature Park gives you an unforgettable experience that is also humane. It is a rescue for injured, tortured and abandoned elephants, dogs, cats, water buffalo and other animals, rather than a “tourist destination.” The owner, Lek, is a Thai woman who has dedicated her life to saving elephants in Thailand. Visiting this rescue park is an opportunity to see the good in the world in the face of its ugliness.

The park is in the mountains, at the end of long and dusty road, and as you approach, you start to see elephants in the fields (and sadly, on the roads as nearby parks offer elephant rides, which is NOT considered humane). This huge farm with pastures, lean-tos in the fields, barns and stables is a refuge for the magnificent creatures it houses. Upon arrival, the first activity is feeding the elephants bananas, watermelons and other fruits. This is the beginning of a day filled with actual interaction with these beautiful animals. The basic itinerary consists of walking into the fields to pet and feed the elephants, with lots of photo ops, all the while learning about the history of these elephants and how they came to be at the park. The tales are all sad- no getting around it- and some of the elephants are still so distressed you can actually see them exhibiting behaviors indicative of mental trauma. The emotional effect is intense, so be prepared to be overwhelmed throughout the day.

Yet, the hope that the park inspires is truly awesome. The elephants are safe and cared for, the dogs are actually available for adoption and volunteers arrive daily to help out with the day-to-day operations. The entire day is extremely peaceful, relaxing and filled with inspiration. It is a true experience.

Tips: Register online as soon as you decide to go. You can arrange for pick-up/drop-off to your Chiang Mai hotel; do this- it’s easy and convenient. There are daily and weekly visit options. Check the weather, but chances are it will be hot, so wear shorts and a t-shirt or tank top. Also, bring bug spray, sunscreen, hiking shoes/sneakers and flip flops (for washing the elephants!), allergy medicine (even if you don’t need it, someone else probably will), camera! Lunch and snacks are included.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About hungryblonde


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.