Existing Member?

the dudus chronicles

Catching a Moment - the studio visit

USA | Sunday, 3 March 2013 | Views [148] | Scholarship Entry

I arrived in Jamaica for an artist in residency program during the summer of 2010. A drug Don was being hunted as I landed.

6 5 2010

the gully side

I knew I would not be able to stay on the sidelines for long. Duty calls and opportunities arise. It just so happens my studio is located in the thick of things. Roadblock after roadblock we encountered this morning. Four soldiers on one corner, five at another. We answer questions and then wait as the soldiers pull the barbed wire to the side so we can drive through. This is repeated several times. I'm on the rock.

6 7 2010: kingston, jamaica

When I create, I listen to music. it's a heavenly combination. So, after my 'fun' morning, I get into my zone. Michael Jackson's 'lady in my life' in my ear as I see a pair of boots approaching me. Then two. Then three. I look up. Three soldiers. In my studio. I pause Michael, stand up, and greet them as they peer into my doorway. They see my painting and invite themselves in. What happens next is why I love life. The soldiers start critiquing my work. Let me brief you on the composition. It is a montage of all the political upheaval here in Jamaica since I arrived just over two weeks ago, which coincides with the start of 'the hunt for dudus' , the don, for which my painting carries the same name. I've depicted copters, jets, and boats searching. Dudus surrounded by bodyguards. Women and children crying. Soldiers and police trading shots with gunmen. And dead bodies being burned.
So, now I have three soldiers in front of me who are part of these stories to varying degrees. I encourage them to speak. The most vocal of the three says, 'well, this is your opinion, and i respect your opinion, but.........' There is usually a but, haha. 'what are those in the middle with x's for eyes? bodies?' 'yes, bodies', I say. 'wow, that's a lot of bodies.' yes, it is' , I say. 'why so many?' 'well, several reports relayed at least 73 civilian casualties after one particular mission. i couldn't ignore that' 'ok, where are all the soldiers?' He didn't understand that I depicted one police officer and one soldier to represent their respective forces, but, I was intrigued by his sensitivity to his people being properly represented. Of course, I pass no judgement on the situation, but, I don't believe massacres should be ignored no matter what the reason or cause. They were gracious and kind, though. I invited them to the exhibition, but they might be busy, and they were on their way.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About hubertnealjr


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.