Existing Member?

Europizing Shenanigans

Camino Frances, days 24-42

SPAIN | Thursday, 13 August 2009 | Views [1052] | Comments [7]

Days 24 – 38


I take back everything I said about Leon, it's rubbish.

After walking through Leon for about 4 hours, I found myself exactly where I entered the city the day before. Very, very depressing.

I ended up where I planned on going to that day at about 9pm.


This escapade did have some fortunate side effects however, as I met several friends I had not seen for some time, and there was much rejoicing.

I walked into town during the middle of some sort of fiesta, which was initially exciting but ultimately annoying as the music went all night and kept me awake.


The following day, while walking, I ran into two English guys I had not seen in weeks, and a Canadian girl they were walking with, and I walked with them for the rest of the Camino.


We decided that it would be very intelligent to sleep outside one night, and set up camp in a field opposite the albergue in a town. It was very, very, very, very cold. And wet.

I was fine, but my two English friends (Tom and James) became ill (the Canadian girl, Lisa, wisely decided to stay inside). The next few days were quite slow progress-wise, as people got over their various sicknesses, but by the start of August we were back on track.

It was during these slow days that we reached the Cruz de Ferro, a stone cross at the highest point along the entire Camino Frances. Traditionally, pilgrims take a stone from somewhere along their journey to this point. The legend is that, if you tell your worries and problems to your stone and then throw it down at the Cruz de Ferro, it will bear them for you for all eternity.

I brought a stone from Nice, but when I arrived at the summit it occurred to me that I didn't really have any problems, so I kept my stone instead as a reminder of this happy time.

On the 1st of August, we woke late to the sound of thunder and rain, but after a breakfast of hamburger we braved the weather and continued through the mountains separating Castilla y Leon from Galicia. My leg was starting to ache from the constant incline, and upon seeing an albergue appear out of the storm in La Faba we decided to stay there for the night instead of continuing up the mountain as we had planned. This proved to be a good decision, as this was one of the most amazing nights of the trip.


The word “hippy” does not begin to describe this place. There was a tee-pee in the back garden, huge numbers of ridiculous instruments scattered everywhere, home-made jewellery, incense, a hole in the ground for a toilet, and the hospitalero was totally insane. At about 8pm, he rode off on a sad-looking horse that had been standing in the rain since we arrived, which was worrying because he had promised us dinner and there was nowhere else in the town to eat. Three hours later, he returned, from the opposite direction, in a car, totally high and with a lot of weed to share.

We never heard what exactly transpired in those three hours but it was no doubt very exciting. Nobody knows what happened to the horse.


Dinner consisted of cheese and lettuce, and just as we were finishing eating (about midnight), suddenly a man holding a puppy in each hand appeared out of the continuing storm and mist. It didn't take long to realise that this was one of the people we had met at Granon weeks ago. He was very happy to see us all, and I was happy to see him because he was an incredible individual.

His mother had given him a train ticket to St. Jean to start the Camino because she 'wanted to see him happy again'. He had no money whatsoever, had adopted four stray puppies he found along the way (two met with unfortunate ends. One drowned in a foot pool overnight, and another was found by the police and put down), and survived purely by scavenging and charity. He would sometimes work at places, such as donativos or farms, but only for food and accommodation, he refused to accept money.


Moving on... the last 5 days of the Camino proved somewhat horrific. To attain a Compostella (certificate of achievement, atonement from sin) you must walk at least 100km to Santiago. As such, the last 100km is PACKED with people. I spent the last five nights sleeping on concrete gym floors because there was no room in the albergues. Sometimes there was not even room in the gym...


On the last day before Santiago, we decided to wake at 4am and walk in the dark and watch the sunrise as we neared our goal. Unfortunately it was quite cloudy so the sunrise was diminished somewhat, but it was still very exciting, and walking without the swarms of people was a welcome break. We arrived at Santiago at 10am that day, and queued for several hours before finally receiving our Compostellas. We decided to celebrate by staying in a pension rather than sleeping on the streets, and I slept very well.


Today was my first rest day of the entire trip, and it has been very strange to be... still.

Too strange.

Tomorrow, the walking will begin again, as I am going to Finisterra, another 90-odd km onwards.


Days 39-42


Onward onward to the end of the Earth...


My three friends who I have been walking with all had flights on the 13th of August, so we had just two days to get to Finisterra. We walked only 35km on the first day, leaving a huge 56km on the second.


The walk to Finisterra proved a far superior way to end the journey than Santiago – gone were the swarms of tourists, crowded paths, overflowing albergues and expensive restaurants. It was the real camino once more.


The last day of walking proved to be truly magical. We set off before dawn, and watched the sun rise over beautiful Galicia as we walked. It was once again a warm day, after a week of cold weather, which made walking while clothes exceptionally difficult. So we walked in our underwear.

By 6pm we were exhausted, having walked just 40km, with 16 left to go. The task seemed impossible, but we had motivation – the last glimpse of the sun in all of Europe for the day. And so we struggled on as the sun made its way across the sky, and soon saw beautiful Finisterra in the distance.


With aching feet, tired bones and hungry stomachs we clambered into town. No time to visit the albergue, no time to take a rest. We went as fast as we could towards the western beach, the last piece of Europe.


We arrived, just as the sky began to turn orange. We threw down our bags and took off our shoes, and though we were exhausted we ran to the deep blue sea and plunged ourselves in as the light faded.


We got out very quickly, because it was ridiculously cold, and sat back on the beach to watch the rest of the sunset before lighting a mighty fire. It is a tradition for pilgrims to burn some of their clothes at Finisterra, and so I burned my socks (the same socks I had been wearing for the past 39 days. They were never going to be clean again anyway).


Then, we decided to burn some insect repellent, and there was a mighty explosion. That was pretty amazingly cool, so we burned some athletes foot spray and deodorant as well. It was like a fireworks display.


As our fire faded, Tom played the ukulele as we all sat back, drinking our rum and whisky and eating cheap cookies we had bought earlier that day, and stared at the sky. By pure coincidence, the 11th of August just happens to be the single best day of the year for viewing shooting stars from Europe, as it is during the annual Perseid Meteor Shower. We saw some absolutely stunning ones, with tails stretching all the way across the sky. As I said, it was truly a magical end to the Camino. We slept on the beach, and in the morning we had toast.

Comments

1

Beautiful Harry xx

  Katy Aug 13, 2009 1:51 PM

2

I love the story about the stone.

  Katy Aug 13, 2009 2:02 PM

3

What a fabulous ending Harry, and we too, loved your account of the stone, it will be a lifelong reminder for you. Have a wonderful birthday tomorrow, we are emailing you separately.
LOL Dipen & Gill

  Gill Mitra Aug 13, 2009 6:58 PM

4

That fire sounds pretty cool.

*Insert something that sounds deep here*

It sounds just amazing. Are you going to keep in touch with your new friends? After an experience like that, how could you not?

Where to next?

  Tessa Leach Aug 14, 2009 8:47 PM

5

Nice work Harry, a great way to spend your birthday.

Capture that feeling of not having any problems, its great to hold things in perspective.

  Byron & Geraldine Aug 15, 2009 6:08 PM

6

Ah Hal you've done really well over there but we're very excited to think that you'll be back with us soon. It's very hot at the moment but it'll turn colder once you're back just to prove how cold England is!! I'm going to Paris tomorrow so will be on the same land mass as you again - we can be Terra Twins............Sigh, better go and lie down.Auntie x

  Jane Dallyn Aug 18, 2009 3:21 AM

7

Howdy pilgrim, I've just read all your blogs in one go. What an amazing trip you have had. If the photos weren't attached i would never believe you had walked that distance. I think it would have made a great coming of age film. Thinking of you and really happy that you have your stone with you. Say gidday to your aunt and uncle for me
cheers

  kylie smith Aug 21, 2009 9:03 PM

About htapawaso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.