Existing Member?

Europizing Shenanigans

Athens

GREECE | Sunday, 31 May 2009 | Views [883] | Comments [4]

Well it's my second day in Athens.

Yesterday was cut short, as I fell asleep at about 7 o'clock from pure exhaustion. I was also the last to wake up in my room of 6...

When I got off the aeroplane I took a bus at random, and ended up at a square of some description. It looks like there will be an election soon, as there are many people shouting through megaphones with communist symbols, or with a portrait of a guy with a huge moustache.

By pure chance I found myself in an underground station, and recognised the stop I was supposed to go to... so I found my hostel within a few hours.

This city reminds me of Calcutta in that it takes 73 hours to move 5 metres in a bus/car/whatever... but somehow that is preferable to walking. At least on the main roads.

But the public transport seems quite good, with trams, buses, funny electric bus/trams and the metro.

Today I went to the Acropolis (literally 1 minute walk from my hostel).

Was good. Saw a tortoise.

I have eaten a pork gyro for every meal so far.

The standard price is:

Take away, 1.80 (euro)

Sit down, TEN EURO

For the same thing!

Needless to say I have had nothing but takeaway so far.

Make sure to look at the photo gallery for Greece.

The Temple of Dionysus ampitheatre

The Temple of Dionysus ampitheatre

Comments

1

Athens sounds (and looks) brilliant. Good call on the takeaway - those pork gyros must be pretty damn good! Love the view from your hostel too. xx

  Katy Mitra Jun 1, 2009 9:12 AM

2

Fancy seeing a tortise in Athens. How much is a lamb gyro? Great photos.

  Sue Mitra Jun 2, 2009 10:42 AM

3

I haven't seen any lamb ones.

It is always pork and chicken... chicken being slightly more expensive.

  htapawaso Jun 4, 2009 1:54 AM

4

Hi Harry, Terrific photos and good on you for your initiative. Looking forward to the next installment.
love, Grandma & Grandpa

  Gill Mitra Jun 5, 2009 4:18 PM

About htapawaso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.