Existing Member?

PeaceMeal | putting it together, one bite at a time

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

HAITI | Saturday, 21 April 2012 | Views [485] | Scholarship Entry

“See you tomorrow?” I asked in Creole.

“Dako,” he agreed, turning down the dusty footpath. I turned too and weaved between simple cinderblock homes, once brightly painted, now fading in shades of rose pink, sky blue and sea green. Corrugated tin roofs begged for shade from pointed mango leaves or thick-fingered breadfruit fronds. 

The next day, we waded from thick, salty air into the sandbar’s warm waters. Where shallow cerulean dropped to royal blue, we dove down, our breaths held and hands outstretched.  Spindly trails in the sand led to crusty mounds barely resembling the beautiful conch shells of tropical trinket stores.  If lucky, we’d find a cache grazing patches of waving sea grass. If not, we’d come up gasping and empty handed.  Today, we had luck.

Hauling our sack to shore, we realized the one ingredient we forgot to catch.  With Haitian key lime out of season, prices were high and, besides, there was no market today. I set off to visit women I’d befriended. Though poor, they reached into pantry sacks and offered me their limes.

When I returned, charcoal glowed red and we boiled our catch to release the coiled meat.  His hands moved more deftly than mine to remove the innards and tough edges, accustomed to the knife’s edge on his hand. With another long slice, we dropped the slim curlicues into a mix of lime and white vinegar.  He sliced thin slivers of onions and rings of tiny Scotch bonnet peppers against his palm, crushed bouillon cubes between his hands, and added pinches of salt and sugar.

With a quick stir, we had it: lambi. Tender and springy Haitian conch pickled with onions. With each bite, the faint flavor of the sea mingled with Scotch bonnet to burn my lips. As I walked tiny dishes of lambi to the women who had shared with me, I felt so much of Haiti in my quest for this one dish. Perfect azure waters, yet fewer fruits of the sea. Poor, yet rich in resources. Hungry, but always sharing.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About hsustyle

Basil and green apple ice cream in Auckland New Zealand

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Haiti

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.