Existing Member?

How to get lost

Getting lost brings you happiness

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [1292] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I saw the dome I thought 'How did I end up here?'. I’m pretty certain I wasn’t looking for Saint Paul cathedral; I was looking for the British museum. And, for those who are not practical of London you just need to know that the British definitely isn’t anywhere near Saint Paul. My phone rings “Hello?” “Where are you? We are going to lunch” “Sorry, I think I will spend the rest of the day on my own” “ok but where are you now? Having fun?” “I don’t know where I’m going but that’s certainly not going to stop me from having fun. See you later.” I hung up before someone reminds me I’m wandering in the centre of a city I’m not familiar with. I’m desperately trying to conquer it. Let’s go back to our dome. I sincerely hope Sir Christopher Wren, the designer of the building, won’t take it personally but the first thing I fell in love with wasn’t the cathedral. I fell in love with a member of the staff who rescued me and helped me find the entrance. Apparently entrances are where the entry sign is (thanks again Mr. Staff Member, if it weren’t for you I’d still be there unable to find the infamous entry sign). Once inside I began my restless exploration of the crypt, because who doesn’t love crypts? And paid my respects to one of my favorite artists who rests in peace right at St Paul: William Turner. Time to go up! Every single one of the 259 stairs you need to climb to reach The Whispering Gallery made me feel like Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay reaching for the first time the summit of the Everest. As I listened to the whispers who came from across the other side of the dome (and understood why the whispering gallery is called so) I got ready to climb a total of 528 stairs and take pleasure from the panoramic view of the golden gallery. Out of breath, completely lost but definitely happy.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About howtogetlost


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.