Existing Member?

African adventure

Faraja Childrens Home , Ngong

KENYA | Thursday, 9 June 2011 | Views [2133] | Comments [2]

Jambo

thanks for taking the time to follow us, never written a blog before and i really cant spell so hope its not too bad!

We really appreciate your well wishes and donations. I think im really falling in love with Kenya and its people.. ya mum i might be staying! The crazy hustle bustle of the City, with the blaring music from the matatus and piki pikis (buses & motorbikes)and throngs of people makes it so alive!

Working in the orphanage with Moraa and the kids has been really rewarding also and I can't wait to see what we can do for this amazing family!

We came back to the orphanage at lunch to find Moraa talking to a woman in the living room - her face downcast, which it very rarely is. When the woman had left, without saying a word, Moraa handed us a letter which turned out to be an Eviction Notice! She sat on her couch with her arms wrapped around her and whispered the words “displaced again” .

So, we’re doubling our efforts to fundraise at home and here in Kenya. At the moment we are organising a family fun day in the local Church grounds. It also has it’s difficulties because  charity fundraisers over here, are pretty much unheardof. But with something to focus on, Moraa is back to her old self, laughing and joking and the house is a hive of activity.

On another note we went to Kibera (now the biggest slum in Africa) last Tuesday to distribute food to the sick. We sat and talked with some beautiful people who were so welcoming. We will be posting pictures soon and as you will see from them, the conditions that these people live in are horrendous. But out of this, we found people helping each other, children playing in the streets and most of them laughing at the mzungus (us)!

So that’s all for today! We will keep you updated on life here in Kenya.

Tutaongea baadai (speak soon)

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Entry: 17/06/2011

The fund is up to E1080 now and slowly rising on the Irish end. Over here in Ngong, Nairobi the day of Faraja Fundraising  (first ever) is quickly approaching. Tension is high as Moraa has never fundraised for the orphanage before and I think meeting officials from the town is putting her on a high, clashing with the hostility which is surrounding her house. Finding the sign for Faraja Children’s Home torn down and smashed into pieces makes it clear her neighbours don’t want an orphanage next door. People usually take things into their own hands over here and their neighbor has threatened a boy of only twelve, if they don’t move away he’ll do worse!

So we push on to reach our target, which I’m sure we will make. The children are all on board too. Saturday will be the day to make posters and their spirits will not be dampened by anything right now!

This is where a lot of our hard work is paying off, well this is where we work to see if it has paid off. A slight pause before Sunday in hope we will raise a nice amount. Then it’s time for stage two.

Comments

1

Hi there.

I was going through your page and was interested in knowing more on how I can be of assistance to your home.
I live in Matasia near Ngong town and I wanted to volunteer on Saturdays. I was going to school on Saturdays and now that am done I have some free time on my hands and wanted to do something for other people.

If interested get back to me on the email address above.

  Wangechi Jun 4, 2013 8:07 PM

2

Hey,my name is peter maina and I work in huband cradial of hope in ngong . My work there is to teach children soccer to sharpen their talents.
We have been train for a long tym and even taken part in some tournament. I will love we organize some friendly matches to make the kid know each other and to be physically fit.
If is kul,you can contacted me n I can even train the kids there. My number is 0736153070
Hope to hear from u soon

  Peter maina Jun 26, 2015 2:12 AM

About hopscotch


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.