Existing Member?

Jen & Clare Flee the Western Hemisphere

Double shot carmel macchiato a la China?

CHINA | Monday, 22 June 2009 | Views [571] | Comments [4]

These guys would be terrifying at night

These guys would be terrifying at night

Sunday started with Starbucks and ended with Walmart.  Starbucks, because ironically enough, I wanted a cup of tea for my throat and it's not easy to find tea unless you're sitting down to a large meal.  Everyone has their own little thermos and tea leaves.  Not having that, we had to go to Starbucks to find a cup of tea in China....after spending the day visiting the Terracotta Warriors, we were walking around and stumbled upon a Chinese Walmart.  It was not as big as walmarts at home, but it had loads and loads of local chinese foods and products.  We decided to go back in the morning so we could have yogurt and bananas for breakfast instead of noodles.

The Terracotta Warriors were a really impressive sight to see.  There is a whole complex/park with multiple buildings which is really large and very nice.  There are 3 pits containing the warriors, 2 of which are kind of small. But pit number 1 which we saved for last was huge and had about 6,000 of the warriors restored and in place.  They were built over 2,000 years ago!  Crazy that the Qin Emperor was so intent on continuing his reign after death that he (or whoever did his labor, it took 40 years!) went to so much effort.  There were also two complete chariots with horses and drivers which had been discovered and restored. 

We're glad we came to Xi'An but also looking forward to Lijiang which should be a little bit quieter.  We're having tons of fun!  Seems like there are new experiences around every corner.  Sorry to use the cliche but it's true!

Comments

1

Somehow I never pictured a visit to Starbucks as the prelude to seeing the Terracotta Warriors....the forces of globalization are getting scarier by the minute! Who's the audience for the Starbucks: local Chinese with global aspirations or ex-pats? (Also, Clare, I hope the scratchy throat doesn't mean you're coming down with Jen's bug. Take care of yourself.) I'm really enjoying being an armchair traveler: keep the journal entries and photos coming -- they're great!

  Adrienne/Other Mom Jun 22, 2009 11:29 PM

2

So are the warriors life size? They look as though they are individual and not all identical. Were they carrying something in their hands? Looks like they might have been holding spears.

Are you having any trouble finding places to sleep and leave your packs in each new place? I keep thinking these will be small villages, but they look like quite cosmopolitan centers.

Keep posting--I don't feel like you are so far away when you write!

  Connie/Mom Jun 23, 2009 11:49 AM

3

I'm not anyone's mom, but I still wanted to comment! I'm so glad you both are having a fabulous time, and Jen - I hope you get better soon! Being the giant medical nerd that I am, I'm interested to hear more about your international health care experience when you get back!!

Keep feeling better!

Love,
Elizabeth

  Elizabeth Jun 24, 2009 9:49 AM

4

Whao... impresionante. Espero que te sientas mejor.

  Manuela Jun 26, 2009 12:31 AM

About hopperq


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.