Existing Member?

The Backpacks Are On Again... Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didnt do than by the ones you did do...Explore, Dream, Discover. MARK TWAIN

leaving more than just footprints

UGANDA | Monday, 9 July 2007 | Views [374] | Comments [3]

today was one that we had been looking forward to, even though it meant long boring work.  we were spending a day with Softpower, a group using tourists labour to help set up schools & upkeep exisiting ones.

our morning started with a visit to the local preschool for orhpans. they were just adorable , all wanting cuddles, or to play & be spun around. we were treated to a couple of songs, we returned the favour by singing 'heads, shoulders, knees & toes' and then it was time to say goodbye.

we wandered down to another centre whree they are teaching the teenagers how to do art & pottery to make a living.  and a drama class which they are using to get across the message of hiv/aids, malaria, first aid & safe sex. 

but it was enough play for us - it was time for us to get down & do some hard work.  we were all shippped off to a local primary school, all handed big buckets of paint & brushes & rollers.  the whole school had to be undercoated. in a few hours with about 25-30 people working we didnt do too badly at all. our hard work was kindly rewarded with a lunch of some sort of meat stew (its best not to look too hard into it), cabbage & rice - all eaten with fingers. 

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Hi Hope and Briza,
Wow, sounds like you guys are having an absolute ball and such a great idea to share your travels on line. Would love to see some more photos and hear more stories so keep them coming. Enjoy and take care.
Ezza

  Erin Boyd Jul 18, 2007 4:38 PM

2

Hi Hope
Sounds like you guys are having a ball! Its raining here, the disorder on north is blah, along with domestics, clan lab, pursuit and a sar call out. All in a nights work for us fellas.
Ah Ken had a boy yesterday .... guiseppe wolfgang Ah Ken!
Dont worry about us, we will be alright.
Have lots more fun.
Paddy

  Paddy Jul 29, 2007 3:37 AM

3

Hey guys,
Great to hear (and see!) all you news. Sounds like you are having a blast.
Brian should have taken his tools to help building schools!
Take care
Warren

  Warren & Lisa Sep 16, 2007 8:57 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.