Existing Member?

HoneyBee

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 14 March 2011 | Views [160] | Scholarship Entry

Ciwidey White Crater, Earth's Mouth is Yawning

Crater, is located on the slopes of Mount Patuha at an altitude of about 2000 meters. If through the Ciwidey, Crater clearly impossible to miss because there is a big clue of stone, written in Bahasa “Kawah Putih Ciwidey”, right on the edge of the road entrance. The seriousness of the local government looks at the condition of the entrance to the crater site. Built through a very dense forest trees, a very uphill road provides a smooth ride from start gate entrance to the crater site.

The parking area is at the site of the crater, rocky, but quite clean. From the parking area to the crater site, built a road with staircase-steps whose length is less than 300 meters. On the side there are several stalls which sell food, drink and warm clothes. This road took us to a plateau that is made like a park, where there are people who sell boiled and roast corn. From the park we were down another path that leads directly into the crater.

What a surprise we saw amazing scenery in front of the eye immediately. Crater looks like a gaping mouth as if the earth is being evaporated. The smell of sulfur only felt a little hung in the air. White mist emerging from the water surface craters green apples, floating upward, sometimes obscure the view of a giant canyon behind him. Everywhere there are many small hill covered with gray and white volcanic sand. Blend between the dark green of the trees with white volcanic ash is really powerful.

Right on the border between the mouth of the earth that smoky with hilly land where we were there who seemed to live green mud. We dare to set foot on it, got sucked into. It turns out that there is water on the banks is not as hot as previously thought. But I dare not imagine how hot the water coming out right from the center of the crater. After we finished cleaning the remnants of mud stuck to the feet and hands with cold water to make a little numb, we enjoy a cold glass of fresh strawberry juice, which made in front of us. It' s very fresh because that afternoon, the day was very hot.

Before performing the way back to Bandung, we stopped at one shop that sells souvenirs Ciwidey. The words "Jeruk Kalua, Souvenir from Ciwidey" in every store we passed, so we are interested to taste it.

Kalua Orange is made from skin of young grapefruit, processed in such a way as candied variety of colors: red, yellow, green, orange, to white. It was very unusual in the tongue. Sweet, but a sweet that never felt before. We finally got into the car carrying a large bag of food and begin our return trip to Bandung, leaving the cool clean air and green parade which was flooded in the distance .

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About honeybee


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.