Existing Member?

The Lost Girls

All About the Anzac

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 27 April 2007 | Views [1268]

We'll admit it: As typical American's we had no idea what the heck Anzac Day was when we arrived in Australia two weeks ago. But by doing a little online research, we learned that ANZAC Day - 25 April - marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. Those landmark engagements demonstrated how Australia had truly become a nation unto itself--rather than just extention of the British Crown.

Thanks to dozens of friendly and patriotic Aussie backpackers we've met around the world, we've learned that the people in this country are very proud of their their history and way of life. They love their homeland, and on no day is this more apparent than Anzac Day.

We knew that we just had to join the millions heading out to celebrate their great nation (and a Wednesday off from work!) with a dozen pints and several times as many rounds of two-up. We decided to head over to The Beach Road Hotel on the early side and learn how to play before the place really got going.

Holly and I stationed ourselves around the edges of the game, which was already in screaming progress, and asked the guys around us to explain the rules. Fortunately, they seemed all too happy to help us get involved!

Six hours, fifty bets and a few cocktails later, Hol and I were on a roll, screaming like crazy--losing our voices, but winning big.

Eight hours, ten more bets and a few bottles of cheap beer later, we'd somehow lost all of our money but made a zillion new best friends!

Here's a short clip from our Anzac Day...are we having fun yet?

Tags: ambassador van, party time

About hollycassandra


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.