Existing Member?

The Lost Girls

Leaving Pathfinder

KENYA | Monday, 13 November 2006 | Views [748]

ADP: On the last night of our incredible volunteer experience at Pathfinder Academy in Kenya, the pre-teen girls we’d been working with for nearly a month surprised us by singing personal farewells at a candlelight dinner. We’d grown to love these little women so much that all four of us (fellow volunteer Irene included) were reduced to sniffly, tear-streaked heaps but we recovered long enough to have turn around and surprise them with gift bags we’d made earlier that week.
Sadly, a fork and spoon were among the “presents” we gave them, because the majority of our little friends had never owned their own silverware. The girls tore open the plastic and were literally screeching in wild delight over the notebooks, pens, colored pencils, crayons, candy, ponytail-holders, modeling clay (and yes, the silverware) we’d given them. Judging by their uncensored shrieks, you’d think that Oprah herself had walked in the room and given each girl the keys to her very own BMW convertible. I had no idea that our tiny gifts would make such an immediate impact on them—but their priceless reaction has made lasting impression upon us.

Tags: Friends

About hollycassandra


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.