Existing Member?

PERUVIAN FASHION ADVENTURES

Sexy Seaside Scenario

PERU | Friday, 13 July 2012 | Views [884] | Comments [1]

Sorry for the lack of updates recently….and sorry for this rather long update, but it's been a while since I've written.

I guess I’ve been keeping myself pretty busy….I started more fashion classes a few weeks ago (pattern making class twice a week for 3 hours each day and a 3 hour draping class once a week).  My teacher, Sophia Cenzano, is great, and she speaks English fluently!!!  HALLELLUJAH!   She’s teaching me one on one, which is amazing, because I get to learn what I want to learn.  There are other students in the studio, too, usually, working on their own projects, and they are very nice and helpful.  There’s also a colorful character, Aida, who works for Sophia, that I LOVE.  She doesn’t speak English, but she is HILARIOUS and we get along great.  She always starts singing right around noon and she likes to take my fabric and drape it on her body into gowns and such.  She’s a very talented seamstress, so she also helps me if Sophia is busy with something else.  It’s working out extremely well and I’m learning a lot. Yesterday,in fact, I created a pattern for a t-shirt and for a pair of pants sewed both of them...a whole outfit from scratch in one day!  The fabric looks like wet patterned vinyl...very cool.  And today, I started draping a very haute couture looking dress on one of Sophia's dress forms....It's looking like a wedding gown for a princess.

 

Last week, I went on a spur of the moment vacation getaway to visit my friend Cesar up in the Northern part of Peru by Puira to his friend’s guest house on the beach.  It’s always warm there.  It was low season, so it was very quiet and peaceful…we did a lot of relaxing by the pool and by the beach.  If you are coming to Peru and want a beachside getaway with some really nice people, let me know and I'll hook you up with Cesar and his friends. It was really the first time I’ve kind of just relaxed since I’ve been here (unless you count my imprisonment in the hospital for a month).  Here’s some seaside pics of Cesar and I:

And for those of you wondering about my foot....I'm happy to report that it is doing MUCH better.  I’m walking around solo now….If I know I’m going to be walking a whole lot, I might consider using the cane, just in case, but for the most part, I’m walking around on my own two feet (but I still have a bit of a limp and depending on how much I’ve been walking it’s anywhere from not too noticeable to a definite limp)….at least I’m walking on my own, though, and it is getting better every day.  So YIPPPEEEE!!!!

 

I’m still teaching English, too, and have made a few more friends, so life is pretty good.  I really miss everyone and SF, though.  I’m coming for a visit in September after New York Fashion Week and will be there in full force just in time for Folsom Street Fair………then, I'm not sure yet, but I think it's likely that I'll come back to Lima in October for more fashion studies, teaching English, improving my Spanish, working with Sergio some more, etc.  I think maybe I’ll stay in Lima from October for four months until NY Fashion Week in February or maybe for 6 months, and then try to relocate back to either SF, but more likely LA or NY.   

It all depends on where the work is really…..My heart is, and will always be, in SF.  If I can figure out how to do what I want to do there, I would like to end up back in SF.....and don't even get me started thinking about missing my first Burning Man in 16 years. It's surreal to NOT be in planning mode for the desert....Boo Hoo!!!

It’s all kind of up in the air, but I’m very ok with that.  I’m relatively happy, I'm learning lots of fashion techniques, having new experiences, and making some money with the teaching gigs...so Peru is good for me now...but also looking forward to coming home...even if it it ends up being just for a visit. 

 

Comments

1

Make sure you hit me up when you get to NYC - will be nice to meet you! I too left my heart in SF, I feel your pain. :)

  Dale Heller Jul 22, 2012 5:40 PM

About hissyfitfashion


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.