Existing Member?

billie's big adventure

weeks 1-4

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 20 July 2011 | Views [176]

Camp week 4, wow! It's flown by so fast! for the first 3 weeks I was counseling and working on the rock block, this week I'm "Full time". So no kids, but I work 12 hours a day, 10 of which are on the block (yay nights off!!). My main task is running our high ropes course, but I also spend a lot of time mulching and woodchipping (not so much fun in 35 deg+ heat) and doing other maintenance with the climbing director.

Camp life, one kid on the dvd summed it up pretty well "you get up at 7am for breakfast at 8, then you have a blast!"

The days are long, but awesomely fun! we do get up at 7 for cleaning and breakfast at 8. then the kids have 3 sports sessions during the day (9am-12, 3pm-5 and 6.30pm-8.00.) there's also 2 "rec" sessions a day, 1pm-3 and 8.30-10pm where we have games and competitions, or dances, and during the afternoon session things like the waterfront, mountain biking, archery, beach volleball etc are open. When counseling you work 2/3 sports sessions and you're either stationed somewhere or you're hanging with your kids during the rec sessions. So to sum it off, if you're lucky you get 3 hours off a day, but for me, being on the block, i usually get 1.5-2 hours a day. we sleep in the cabins with our kids so i'm 100% serious about only having that smalll amount of time off. hense me maybe not posting as often as i would like!

But back to the last few weeks: weeks 1 and 2 I had a group of 12-14 year old girls. they were lots of fun, but my lord were they hard work some days! I also couldn't beleive some of the clothes they would come out in and how much make up they would wear to go play soccer... but i guess that's what 13 year old girls want! It was a really steep learning curve, but we still managed to have a pile of fun, come 2nd and then 3rd in the cabin of the week competition and there were lots of hugs and tears on check out day :)

Week 3 I had a cabin of the most amazing girls but i've just realised it's 5.55pm and i'm due back at the block at 6pm. will write more (and maybe even some about my days off....) later

xoxo

b

About hilarywilson_nz


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.