Existing Member?

Bonding With The Hills

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - Bonding With The Hills

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 21 February 2013 | Views [250] | Scholarship Entry

As the plane sets up for its final approach in kuala lumpur I tried to figure out the petronas tower as if I knew where it was out of my curiosty, but failed to spot it.As planned after landing I hired a cab and moved to subang jaya where my aunt lives.

A conversation with my aunt during dinner time,I hear something interesting that I have never done before,hiking .Knowing that am keen to have a go my aunt makes a call to a local person who does hiking every Sunday at bukit tabur hills.He says over the phone if I am ready for a 5 hour hike be ready by 4 am tomorrow.At first the number 5 made me think twice,but then I decided to have a go.I am yet far to realize that call was one of a kind experience for me the coming sunday

By 4 am we started our drive towards the hills.We began the hike before the sun is out.Bukit tabur hills is a perfect place for a beginner to hike,it is simple and a bit challenging too.Having hiked for a while we stopped for awhile to see kuala lumpur waking up.The sight of the lights going off slowly here and there, was a splendid scene.On my hike to the summit my new local friend makes a interesting halt,the point from which genting highlands is visible.Whats more interesting to me was clouds covered genting,seems like the genting highlands was playing hide and seek.

On reaching the summit I spend more time sitting there to see the city of kuala lumpur muted eventhough I could see a million cars on the roads and planes passing by some for landing some departing.I sat there and observed that only around 10 percent or even less was foreigners, rest was all locals or the similar speaking people may be from just near by countries.

Having done with my drinks and bars I start my downhill journey watching the faces of people passing by me,the curiosity and the thrill in their face to conquer the summit,hearing the unknown languages they speak, I find I am down near the car.Now its time for a drive back.

To me bukit tabur hike was something like to the Himalayas.This hike has created a love in me for nature,but I don’t know how and why,its some internal bonding with the hills I guess.This hills motivated me to hike bigger ones and when told to my local friend about this feeling in me,at first he smiled without letting off his eyes from the busy roads and said “My friend I am sure you will conquer Mount Fuji and Mount Cook from the very same motivation and feeling I had after my first hike to bukit tabur”.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About hiking


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.