Existing Member?

HikemaniakInHimalayas

A meet with a legend

NEPAL | Tuesday, 28 March 2017 | Views [717]

By the fire place with Nawang Yonden Sherpa photo Credit; Joe Bunyan

By the fire place with Nawang Yonden Sherpa photo Credit; Joe Bunyan

I still don't know what to make of the whole trip, I came to see the future (Mt. Everest) and then return home to prepare for it but as I trek down from Namche Bazaar to Lukla I have mixed feelings of sadness and excitement in constant oscillation, a sense of accomplishment followed by emptiness in seamless continuity. I yearn to hear a human experience on the summit. Am with Joe one of the trekkers I met at the airport 12 days ago and decided to do the trek together. It takes about 6 hrs and we finally get to Lukla. In our filthy state,  we are in desperate need of a shower, I have not used more than a cup of water on my body in the last 12 days. It has been foggy in the region from Khumjung to Lukla meaning to find a teahouse with hot shower will cost us a fortune. The Everest region has numerous tea houses with different level of comfort, Bibek our local contact leads us to one that borders on luxury.  We go in, we are welcomed by a pretty lady I estimate to be in her early 30s, it's a good sign I associate beauty with good luck. We ask for the charges for the night and they are definitely higher than our budget.  We fail to agree and as we start to walk away, an older lady who resembles the young one emerges from another room may be the kitchen. They speak Nepalese and soon the young lady communicates to us in English that we can spend the night as bargained. We get a room with warm and very neat blankets, a clean toilet and bathroom inside the room, we get to charge our phones and camera and free wifi. As predicted earlier no hot shower since the sun has refused for the last 2 days but we had managed to sneak in a hot bucket shower in our bargain. We settle in and take the hot bucket shower which is refreshing after 12 days. It's now late evening, as we surround the fireplace a figure emerges from another room; it now looks like a family a daughter, a mother and now a father. He is short, well built in a north face dark blue full suit down jacket and trouser. He says a silent hi and takes a seat at the far corner of the tea house eating area. It's time for his evening meal. We also take ours a few minutes later. After meals, everyone converges at the fireplace, this time we get to know each other. In the midst of many stories I mention am planning to summit Mt. Everest in 5 years and the old man lights up. He tells of his triumphant escapades in the Himalayas with a humble pride. He is Nawang Yonden Sherpa, he led the 2nd Mt. Everest winter summit on 16th December 1983. My evening is made. My trip feels complete. It's time to go home.

 

Tags: beyond, love, mountain, possibilities, trekking

About hikemaniak


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.