Existing Member?

Aku manusia.Hidup dan menghidupi adalah nyata.Berpikir membuat hidup lebih menghidupi.Dan membuat k

Abdi Dalem - When Devotion Beat Money

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 18 April 2012 | Views [277] | Scholarship Entry

Several years ago I went to solo. I prefer to visit Keraton Solo because it would take me an adventure back to the history. Indonesia's history and the history of Java. The journey begins with a round the palace, the main building as the king's throne. A tour guide explained to the visitor about Keraton Solo, from unique things to a history of Keraton Solo. Somehow, I think the explanation by tour guide was boring, even more suitable as a lecturer who taught on campus. Heat of the sun forced me to saty under a tree in Keraton’s yard. Suddenly my eyes drawn to an old man who was sweeping the leaves in the yard. With a broom and a garbage , he collected the leaves. That afternoon, he wore a black shirt and Blankon and black pants with a yellow belt. I approached. And then I desire to talk with him. Every I ask , he not responded enthusiastically, rather cold and keep a distance with the visitors. From the conversation I knew that he was Abdi Dalem in Keraton Solo but he didn’t receive the salary from Keraton. You could imagine it, an old man who have a family and not paid after cleaning up the yard. But Keraton will buy a garbage of the leaves with 10.000 rupiah price (equivalent to 1 dollar). And to collect a garbage of leaves need more than a week. So it can be calculated salaries average 30,000 a month. At the end of the conversation, that old man said that the dedication, loyalty, and sacrifice will never replaced by money . I suddenly remembered a quote, you give then you will receive. Accepting something not always associated with money, but the joy and peace. Until returning to the hotel, I keep my mind thinking about that. For me maybe 10,000 just enough to buy snacks, but that old man, the money was for his families. It made me think again about the meaning of life. Whether the money will guarantee us to be happy Of course not. Life is following our direction. Where we put our target in our life as high as a sky. A week later, whether accidental or not, I saw the news on television about Abdi dalem in Keraton that receive salary 7000 rupiah (equivalent to 0.7 dollars). More sad. It makes me more curious about Abdi dalem in Keraton Solo. Then I searched on the internet about Abdi Dalem in Keraton and their life. In fact, They are happy. Those who become Abdi Dalem in Keraton not beause a necessity, but because they love to being that. Be a part of Keraton Solo although the salary was so poor. When I connected to my life, they are disconnected. But I get a life lesson from it, that was sincerity and devotion that can not replaced with money, but with a true heart .

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About hidup_dalam_fiksi


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.