Existing Member?

Color In Real Life

Banff: My Life Changed

CANADA | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [127] | Scholarship Entry

Trapped: This is the state of being I was in for twenty years- living in a tiny, lonely snow globe. I could see everything through the glass of the snow globe. I could see the beautiful colors of the world which surrounded me, I could see the possibility of "endless" which excited me, and I could see thousands of other snow globes which intrigued me.

It struck me as a deep depression, as I watched those whose heads were being anchored to the ground by little lights within their handheld devices. Those little lights were so strong, that people were forgetting what real life was like. We were being told how careless it was to leave our little snow globe and venture off to another. We were told that longing to express the imagination within our heart and soul was merely a silly dreamer.

I was a silly dreamer. I am a silly dreamer. We experience the art of the world.

It was that moment where I realized that I could not let myself be anchored down. I couldn't let myself be trapped in this snow globe. I knew there was more out there, and I was tired of watching it all through a glass window.

Two weeks later, I was on a plane to Alberta. I was moving to Banff- the furthest I had ever been from home. I was nervous, I was scared, I was excited, and I was happier than i had ever been in my entire life.

After a long plane ride, the flight attendant announced that we would soon be landing. The beat of my heart was pounding with excitement.

I remember the beauty of that moment which I got off of the plane- every tiny detail of it:

It was the first time I had felt a different breath of air within my lungs.
It was the first time I had felt a different texture among my skin.
It was the first time I had seen blue skies like the ones we had seen in cartoons as children.
It was the first time I had seen a glorious mountain.
It was the first time I had seen crystal clear water.
It was the first time I had decided to take it all in, instead of taking endless photographs with different filters, which I would usually have trouble deciding on which filter would enhance the photo to impress my friends the most.
It was the first time that I had been completely alone, but realized that I was not lonely.

The first time I realized how beautiful life was, was in that moment. Ever since that moment, I have been addicted. I have become addicted to the beauty of simplicity, the souls of others, and the heart of the world.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About hiddenwonders


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.