Existing Member?

My trip Cayman Islands

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 12 March 2011 | Views [202] | Scholarship Entry

I was just about to turn 18 when the rugby's mexican U19 team's tryouts where announced by the FMRU so I dicided to register and luckilly and thanks to my skills, I got in we were suppossed to travel to the Cayman Islands because of the NAWIRA (North America West Indies Rugby Association) tournament, this is a tournament in wich North american and caribbean rugby national teams play in order to win a place on the World Cup.
So i was chosen in the team, i started my trainig and when the time came i went to the Mexican Airport at 5:00 am and checked in order to travel to Miami and afterwards to Cayman Islands, the flight to Florida was all right, i slept almost all the way. The other flight was a bit different, the stewardess from Cayman Airways were very cheerful, they were trying to make a fun trip, they made a good effort by the way, everyone was laughing and stuff.
When we arrived to our destiny a van picked me and my temmates up and tokk us to our hotel, where we all had a big surprise because we were told we were staying at some dodgy cabins but we arrived at the Courtyard Marriot and we were given rooms and roommates, I shared with 2 more guys the both were my friends so my room was more than ok, we had a hot tub, a very large window and a larger mirror but enjoying later, we still had some training to do after a quick visit to the entire hotel,it was a very nice hotel with a rather large souvenir store, a very nice bar (in wich we were allowed in), a spectacular pool, and frogs came out at night so you could find some in the garden if you where there late. Our practice field was very far from our hotel but it was all right, we had our canteens filled and the grass was green, so we went on with the training, Cayman Islands has one very large street in wich all the important businesses are located, all along the beach, there is a very nice mall in which the statue of three Sting Rays is, there you can buy loads of souvenirs and clothes and lots of jewelry .
I spend all my time at the principal island Grand Cayman, there are two more there (Little Cayman and Cayman Brac)
It isconsidered a Tax Heaven (a state in which taxes are very low or there are non at all).
We didn´t do well in the tournament but i took a lot of pictures of the place, there is a lot to do even scubba diving or snorkeling in a coral reef, swimming with stingrays , shop and enjoy the night life and restaurants, eat turtle meat (i had to try it) it tastes as chiken by the way.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About hidalgo1


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.