Existing Member?

The primitives

My Scholarship entry - Giving back on the road

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 20 April 2012 | Views [214] | Scholarship Entry

I always thought that one could never be happy unless he has the good things of life.Travelling down to villages in Nigeria,a shift in modernism and enlightenment to absolute want and deprivation is observed.On our way to a major state in the north (Gigawa state),the roads were damaged beyond comprehension.Bumps here and there,making it impossible for the driver to exercise mastery of the starring and the journey longer.Dust flying in the air,making breathing difficult,Leaves and grasses turns brown,disrupting easy view of nature.Slow but steady the lorry journed into the deep,thick elephant grasses attacking our lorry as it drove away.We rested on getting to a community we felt safe,to continue the journey at dawn.Revealing a set of different looking people,are primitives still existing in this century?Huts of about 4feet high were jam-packed in a rather congested manner,men and women squatting to make an entrance.Trembling at the sight I was nauseated. We were received by fetish looking men who offered me a drink to quench our thirst.I learnt from the interpreter that it was the first thing given to a visitor.It is believed in their world that hospitality to strangers brings blessing from the gods.They insisted we pass the night and a dance in our honour.Prayers were made for our safety at dawn,as we yet journeyed further.These people,though living in a world away from the real world are contented the way they are.With the challenges of proper medical care,civil education and the rest of things that makes life alive,they understood the essence of life,existence and exhibiting a life of selflessness,always renewing their trust and believe in people.Despite the disappointment by the state,they showed kindness and generosity in lack.The primitive community of Tsanniya,takes their destiny in their hands toiling day and night with prideand determination,they continued their posterity.When asked how they coped,our guide responded in a reassuring tone,"hope lives in us".

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About hi5


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.