Existing Member?

Heywoods1976

Santiago Sacatepequez, Guatemala - Giant Kites

GUATEMALA | Tuesday, 4 November 2008 | Views [686] | Comments [2]

Another day trip - just Nicola and I signed up for the trip from Panajachel, so the guide brought his family with him - his wife and 5 kids. All very nice and very well behaved.

I am not going to write much because we have so many photos and they tell the story better.  The basic premise is that every year on all saints day a couple of Guatemalan villages fly giant kites from their graveyards - to entertain their dead and to communicate between the living and the dead.  Hundres of people, giant kites the size of caravans (to be flown) and giant kites the size of a house to decorate the graveyard. We bought and flew our own kite.  Check out the pictures - Nicola is trying to upload them as we speak.

Tags: guatemala

 

Comments

1

got the email on BA, all looks great, if things dont work out with the cowboys then cest la vie stev. Honestly i miss you guys so much, esp when arranging beers and realising that your not around to share it with. I really love reading the blog, i check in everyday at 3pm, with a cup of tea and pray that the phone doesn't ring for ten. so so glad panajachel was worth it. take care guys. happy trails. jams

  jamie Nov 6, 2008 3:18 AM

2

Charming. I too have been on my travels...although granted that High Wycombe is slightly lacking in the volcanoes and crocodile department (although it does have a new Marks & Spencers)...was I missed, was I buffalo!

Seriously, glad to hear that you're having such a great time, although we're all very jealous about the weather. Am loving the photos too.

Here in the UK, things are a hive of activity and as action packed as always. There's a petition to get someone back on the X Factor who 'wuz robbed'; I'm a Celebrity returns at the weekend featuring Micky from Eastenders, one half of Dollar and Martina Navratilova; oh and Kerry Katona's nipples are about to fall off. Are you sure you don't want to come home?!

Missing you lots
craig
xx

  Craig Nov 12, 2008 1:00 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.