Existing Member?

Brendon and Hester hit SE Asia

Cambodia Phnom Penh and Angkor

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 11 June 2008 | Views [472] | Comments [1]

Brendon

Well, where were we? We still had one morning to do in Bangkok before flying on to Phnom Penh (further refered to as Ping Pong). The Grand palace in bangkok deserves it's name. Absolutely beautiful and equaly impressive.One boat trip away back to our hotel and one quick Thai green curry before leaving for the airport. First thing to do in Ping Pong was to find an hotel. Shared a taxi with an american (god, that's a nation that likes to talk) and we got dropped off next to the river. The dilemma was riverside or lake side. WE did one night each. A far to fancy hotel with an amazing view from our balcony (yes, we had one) over the river and the next day budget hostel where we had to put our hand down the back of the toilet to flush it! Honestlt the lake was the best. Relaxing veranda with hammocks and a nice view over the lake. Ping Pong itself was less manic as Bangkok, but it is a far poorer city. The amount of people on the streets, of which many with missing limbs due to exploding landmines was staggering. It confronts you each time with how lucky you are, but at the same time a massive knot in the stomach. We ended up walking around the city and visiting the royal palace ( not as grand as the grand one in Bangkok, but very nice indeed). Although I sometimes have to check if Hester is real, as everyone only seems to talk to the male of the company, we also visited the only hill in the city which is named after a woman called Penh! Phnom meaning mountain, it's quite ironic! Best was still when a salesdude looked at me and pointed at Hester and just said ; WIFE??? At least he acknowledged her, ha ha.

The last 3 days we've been in Siem Reap (meaning: Siamese defeated! They hold no grudges!) and visiting the temples of Angkor! Unbelievable, just wait for the pictures! Or easier, just google it and you'll understand. Standing between these massive temples with amazing rock carvings is amazing. First day we hired bikes and cycled all the way! Which basically meant drinking, sweating, sweating, drinking, temple, sweating! The round trip was about 30km, which is not that far, but I can tell thee that you get better bikes when you rent in Holland! ha ha. The other 2 days we went to further away temples with a tuk tuk. Breathtalking. Tree growing o ON top of temples walls. Through building! After a hardcore temple day it was basically chilling in the pool (backpacking sucks!), having more amazing food and sleep. Oh, and of course a tiny little thing called: NEDERLAND-ITALIË = 3 - 0!!! Eat that and your spaghetti!!!! 2 am local time, Hester fast asleep, TV with the sound off and just watching and smiling. Hardest thing was to cheer without sounds! Excellent. Come on French frogs!

Tomorrow we leave this palce and are off to Kratie, where supposedly you can see river dolphins, after which we're going further inland hoping for an elephant trek. We'll keep you posted!

Muts: Klasse van de tentamens! Trots op je! Nog maar een weekje....

Sorry mam, toch maar geen pak gekocht! Indian was inderdaad heel lekker. Geef pap een kus! Pap; Frankrijk kan ik niet kijken, dus dan moet je dat drankje voor mij extra nemen!

Nicky: veel plezier op je trip en mijn kniën zijn nog niet vies hoor!

Comments

1

Wat een geweldige verhalen!!!Jullie hebben schrijverstalent!!!Ook zo herkenbaar als die temples...en geweldig dat park in Bangkok hé!Ik heb er met Hans nog een rondje hardgelopen en dat werd erg op prijs gesteld door heel wat Bangkokkers....Geniet nog lekker en ik ben benieuwd naar de dolfijnen en de olifanten.

Geniet en zweet...is goed voor de gratis ontslak-reis!Betalen andere heel veel geld voor...

Dikke knuffel x Nicky

  Nicky Jun 12, 2008 7:20 AM

About hester_c


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.