Existing Member?

Henrika's Fascinating Adventures

From Taupo via charming Art Deco Napier to New Plymouth

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 6 November 2012 | Views [494]

I am in New Plymouth, in the West Coast. I got eventually done everything I wanted in Taupo, skydiving and the Tongoriro crossing. The Alpine crossing was finally re-opened after being closed  for 2 weeks.   I wasn't too keen to make the crossing in the first place but I changed my mind.  You go through a good few steps, steep climb, snow, strong winds and bush. I'd say that the track is worth its good reputation.

I also went to Napier for a few days and I tried too many glasses  of local Merlot in an Irish pub with an English girl on a Saturday night.  Forever reason I looked tired and sad and therefore a local girl came over to talk to us.  A girl was called Emma and she looked like a fairy. She was out with her friends and they were plumbers.  I found it quite fascinating that an elf looking girl explains how much she likes her work, plumbing.  The evening got bizarre as all my hazy years as a student in Finland and a professional Ireland and as a tourist here and there, I have never ever refused the service. Now it happened, we entered to an empty bar and a bartender announced with a cold tone in her voice that those girls have had enough.  I wasn't the only one shocked, so was my English friend. Solution was of course walk out and go elsewhere with more relaxed policies regarding to the definition "intoxicated customer".

I must say that they must produce quality wine in Napier. Neither of us suffered from headache or any other  nasty sympthons of hangover. Impressive. Although I decided to give a miss to wineries on my 50km cycling  trip on the next day.   It has been bout 5 years since I have cycled last time and my arse wasn't as sore as I was afraid of.  

Napier is a cute art deco city worth stopping over,  My personal highlights  during a few days visit in Napier were girls' night out,  50km cyckling track  through the rural landscape and  a class of Bikram yoga. I met a guy in a hostel  who took me to try out a class. It was splendid!

Instead of going back toward Auckland I chose to visit New Plymouth. I was lucky for a change. The hostel was a bit further off the city as I though  but the bus driver  offered to drop me off at the hostel after finishing at the bus depot. One of  those days I actually like travelling New Zealand. Kiwis are friendly and helpful, I do have to admit that even though I am pretty far cry off being in love with this country.  About 15 min walk  uphill with all my bags would have turned into a nightmare and make me swaer NZ once again.( not that I could blame anyone but myself)

I have had a good time in this city. The city itself is not as charming as Napier but it has about 11km of Coastel paved walkaway and beautiful parks. I really like the hostel I am staying. It small so less German teenagers, lovely sun room and the best of all: sauna. For $5 you can have it all for yourself. The place is  ideal for recharging the batteries  for any traveller. I joined the gym for a week. I know it is kind of late to get that "bikini body" before South America after eating all the cakes as an Au pair . But I  just  gonna get it started and let Salsa  dance take care of  the rest  (or perhaps South American stomack bugs, IN indiua they did pretty good job to get me ready for Thailand)   

Seriously one of the things I ve missed during my big trip is regular excercise. God  it felt good. It was like re-union with a long time friend. A missing piece to happy life re-found. But oif course for travellers it is hard and you kind of wanna escape the routines but it has been such a long time so I kind of greet the routines for a change. In Matamata I was always having cold and sore throat so I found asubstitute for pleasure of workout: baking and cakes. But this has already changed I am back on the track.  

I am gonna go hiking or tramping as Kiwis  would say to Taranaki national park tomorrow morning and spend over a night in a hut after full day of hiking. I am gonna team up with a German and American girls. One more time  I am going to go explore New Zealand spectacular nature. The rest of the week. I'll be  staying in the gym and taking LesMills and spinning classes, perhaps I'll go for a long run along the wild and rocky coasline 

Sunny and windy but visibility should  be good all week. Better off to go enjoy the last rays of the sun before going to the supermarket buy food for tomorrow's challenge. It should be fun to stay overnight in a hut. Let see how it goes. 

About henrika_traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.