Existing Member?

The backpacking diaries

Argentinian Detox or not?!!!!

ARGENTINA | Friday, 15 January 2010 | Views [533]

After the excesses of Christmas and New Year we decided it was time for a detox!  We also worked out that we've budgeted 1000 pounds per month and we're away for 7 months and yet we only have 4000 pounds each!!!!!  Who did the maths?!!!  I'm not quite sure but thank god i went into psychology and not accountancy!!!! 

So we hauled up in a very cheap hostel with a free breakfast, which we took FULL advantage of and cooked for ourselves and didn't drink a drop of alcohol for a whole week!!!!  Amazing, i know!  And we actually managed to stick to our ridiculous budget of 8 pounds per day!!!!   One day we went to a bar and had a diet coke and it actually felt indulgent!!!  Unfortunately all of this coincided with us being in Mendosa, which is ironically the capital of the wine producing region of Argentina - 70% of the country's wine is produced there and so its super cheap great wine!!!!  What bloody timing eh?!!!

But Mendosa itself is a beautiful city with tons of plazas and a park as big as the city itself so we were jogging in the morning before it got too hot and then sunbathing in the afternoon.  30 degrees and sunny every day, we didn't want to leave!  Well we did, cos next stop was Buenos Aires . . .

And B.A. is even better!  There might not be plazas and parks  but there's bars and clubs and thats way better!!!!  Once we got here and checked into a party hostel and had our first sniff of vodka after a week of tee-totalling we both seemed to forget the budget ever existed!!!!  We're cutting corners and angling for freebies wherever we can though.  On Tuesday we even went to a really posh steakhouse just cos we heard they give you free champagne while you wait outside to be seated!!!!  And they did!!!  And boy did we take full advantage of that!  Then we ate all the free bread they gave and asked for more then ordered the cheapest - and only vegetarian thing on the menu, a salad!!!  Then got given a ton of free lollipops for pudding, nice one!!!

Which brings me on to food!!  And if one more person tells us how much we're missing out by not eating these bloody amazing steaks I'm gonna scream!!!!  We know they do good steaks, alright!!!!  We get it!!!! I've never seen lumps of meat like i've seen here, bloody gigantic!!!  So its virtually impossible for us to overspend on eating out cos we can barely find a sodding thing to eat!!!!  At the supermarket in Mendosa they sold frozen vegeburgers so we had them for our dinner every night, so we're in steak and wine country, drinking diet coke and eating vegeburgers!!!!!!  No wonder everyone thinks we're weird!

Luckily the clubs don't open here til 2am, so we're out til very late - this morning got in at 5.30, just as the sun was coming up!  So we're getting up at 2pm and only managing one meal before we get back on with partying!!!  Sorry mum - I'll worry about my liver some other time!!!

And on that note, I'm going back to bed!!

About helenhughes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.