Existing Member?

The backpacking diaries

Here we go!!!!!!

PERU | Friday, 13 November 2009 | Views [711] | Comments [5]

And they´re off!!!! Its got to be said, I was freaking out on the flight here, thinking what on earth am I doing?!!  And after having such an amazing weekend in Brighton with the best of friends, who can blame me?!

But now the trip is underway, its all good!

Yesterday was Wednesday, I should have been sat in the Team Meeting listening to tales of woe about crap IT systems and not enough inpatient beds, instead I was tearing around the Peruvian desert on a sand buggy, at brake neck speed over massive sand dunes and down the vertical drops the other side - awesome!!!  Then sandboarding, which I love!!!!! 

Afterwards a trip to a winery to try the famous pisco, I´m loving the pisco sour, like lemon meringue pie in a glass but very alcoholic!!!  Think they´ll be forming a staple part of the diet whilst in Peru, to accompany the vegetarian omlettes and chips, oh yes, the joys of being a vege abroad!!!!

Last night we went into full backpacker mode, sat around drinking beer and playing cards!  The rest of the group we´re with are really great, and we´re together for 3 weeks! 

Today we´ve decided we deserve a break so we´re opted not to do the flight over the Nazca Lines and instead we´re gonna chill by the pool!! Cos, its hot and sunny!  Oh, yeah, you heard me right! And, I did warn you all this wasn´t gonna make for pleasant reading so don´t be cursing me now!!!!!!

My lack of organisation in advance of this trip has been quite astounding!  Not only did i have no south american currency the day i was due to fly and no idea whether or not accommodation was booked, i have no idea of the details of this trip we´re currently on at all. We missed the welcome briefing on day one so we´re still referring to the others as ´tall ozzie guy´ and ´girl with pretty green eyes´, too late now to ask their names!  And for the first day and a half had absolutely no idea where we were as we hadn´t been given the itinerary!  Then I heard a girl ask when we were doing the flight over the Nazca Lions. Awesome, some sort of safari flight and we get to see big cats, right up my street!  Kirsty had to inform me it was the Nazca LINES - markings in the sand in the desert, nothing to do with big cats!!!  Still, good name for an American football team i reckon ' the Nazca Lions´!!! 

 

 

Comments

1

Hey Hels and Kirsty, great to hear from you. Good luck on the first part of your journey. Don't worry, I'll hold the NHS fort for you!! Yes it's wet and grey here mmm. take care of yourselves, and look forward to the next update. xxx

  Anita and Scott Nov 13, 2009 7:36 AM

2

Lovely to hear from you. You sound as though you are having amazing start to your trip. It is lovely reading your diary. Will print it off. Aunt Sheila is very interested in your trip so will send her a copy and a map so that she can follow your trip. Give my love to Kirsty and thank her for sending me the info. LOVE YOU MOM

   mom Nov 13, 2009 9:48 AM

3

Arghhhhhhh - I'm jealous! So great to hear from you, been thinking about you all week, wondering where you had landed on your travels! Y'know, if you just travelled all that way to spend lazing around a pool, you could have saved yourselves a hell of a lot of money and just gone down to Saltdean Lido!!! Could't have guaranteed the weather though ;o)!

I hope you have an absolutely AMAZING time, and keep me up to date with your whereabouts, and the people who you meet (....what's the tall Ozzie guy like???).

Lots and lots of love...

Laura xxx

PS: You didn't miss much in the team meeting!!! xx

  Laura Gardiner Nov 13, 2009 9:13 PM

4

Hels and Kirsty,

Glad to hear you are getting off to a great start-start as you mean to go on huh! Weather here is....disgusting, send us some sunshine please. Have fun and enjoy every minute of every day, you have waited long enough for this break afterall!
Keep us all posted on your escapades...lots of love Irena and Carl xxx

  Irena Nov 16, 2009 10:39 AM

5

Helen

I'm glad you commented on the Wednesday meeting and not the cheerful 'sunny-side up' Monday meeting in Storrington

  Matthew Dec 17, 2009 5:23 AM

About helenhughes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.