Existing Member?

Every man's land

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 15 March 2012 | Views [226] | Scholarship Entry

I have been granted the opportunity to travel to Poland to give a presentation about my country and through my stay there, I have come across the most interesting of people and experiences that I never think I'll ever be exposed to again because there were moments that are inexpressible through words, only felt by heart, but when I reflect now upon my journey, I think the most important lesson for me was humanity! I come from a country where social gaps are widely seen but in Poland, everybody treats the other with utter respect, and people always have smiles upon their faces even if their world is crumbling down, I met someone who believe in Buddhism while I'm there and coming from a Muslim background, we engaged in conversations that made it crystal clear for us that all religions on earth are entwined because we all shared the same values and principles, this was for me by far the most amazing experience teaching each other things about our religions and we both found them amazing, Although I was the only one in town with a headscarf, some people thought I felt discomfort because of everybody staring at me on buses and in streets but actually I felt very special because I was expressing my identity in a town that knew nothing about my ethnicity, and I found people very understanding and had the compassion of a mother who never had children, many people took me in their homes and cared for me, fed me their amazing delicious home-made food, its like they wanted to show me that this is my second home and they're my second family and truly they were! , when I was leaving Poland, in the airport, tears trickled down my face although I missed my country, I was crying because I know I'm leaving behind golden memories that would be carved in my heart and mind till eternity, its moments that shape our lives and I had the most wonderful moments that are signed by all the encounters and friends I have made there, Truly a nation that deserves a prize for peace and humanity!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About heddz


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.