Existing Member?

MyFirstJournal

My first 4WD drive

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 2 October 2010 | Views [336]

With intrepidation, I engaged the AWD button on my Santa Fe, approached the sandy track with signage saying 'Danger! only 4WD drive vehicles beyond this point'.

Looking ahead I see a well driven track with deep tyre trenchs on the soft sand. I'm  at the cross roads. Do I face my fears and proceed and experience the unknown adventures ahead or do I turn around and head back home. My heart racing as other cars begin to creep up behind my Santa Fe. Time to make a decision. Let's do this, nothing venture is nothing gained.

My foot on the accelerator and proceed ever cautiously as I feel engine pushing against the sand of the under carriage, with bushland on close proximity to my Santa Fe and the deep trenchs of the track. Not being able to see much further ahead due to the curvature of the entrance, after a few more minutes, bam, the beach opens its amazing beaty and vast distance ahead. I finally made it through the soft sand and was now on more solid wet sand as I approached the shore. Phew, now only another 30kms to reach the exit point.

Driving at the speed limit of 50kms whilst in AWD mode. My brother in the passenger seat was smiling and had his window down to take in the salty breeze. In the distance I could see other 4WD vehicles ahead up me and some 4WD vehicles were now appearing behind me. The wet sand shows many tracks of various vehicles however were quite spread out across the width of the wet sand. As we continued north along Noosa North Shore, we noticed quite a number of vehicles parked along the edge of the beach opposite the water, We saw various camps filled with people with families, fishing rods, tents and other camping equipment. There were some dogs running along the sand having fun with the children. What a sight to see. It was like a new world, a new city full of families. 

to be continued later...

Tags: 4WD, beaches, camping, fishing, shore

About healthox


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.