Existing Member?

Across Europe with just one bag

The Christmas story

ROMANIA | Sunday, 4 May 2014 | Views [120] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day that... when I was thinking about life seen through a broken glass. I remembered a famous movie scene where a dehumanized world was held captive under a glass bell. It was noon. This place I am writing now seems to be a kind of room, where I could serve something in a hurry. I like to dwell in this place because it felt good to be among ordinary people that came through the city suburbs. You could eat cheaper. I like a certain kind of sausages, from Bulbucan, a butcher in the near area.
I noticed a strange apparition that placed itself next to my table. When he approached I saw it, was an old lady. Short and weak she had a coat that looked like a hospital’s brown robe, very worn, and standing over her boots I saw some plastic bags, presumably to protect her from the street’s moisture. She was clutching in her fingers a $ 1 bill. She tried to buy a cup of tea from a few sellers, but she was refused and almost rushed from the shops. "Look, Mom, you could starve with money in hand," you could hear her almost whispering voice. It seemed strange that an older woman had a child's voice. She glides through the tables and grab all the cups and empty glasses. At one point she found an abandoned bottle on the table that had a few fingers of beer. Everybody concluded that she was a drunk who searches the table scraps drinks. “A hot tea, mother, to warm up?" She spoke while heading to the farthest stall where they were selling sausages. It seems that the woman at the counter took pity, because she poured a cup of hot tea. The elderly women satisfied withdrew into a corner.
Before leaving I stopped in front of the old lady and placed in her pocket a bill and she muttered: "Tell me how much it is" she said with the gentle voice of a child. “I do not see”. "In the name of Jesus Christ," I whispered. "God bless you!” She murmured with her warm voice that wrapped my heart like a nest. I thought for a moment, the walls disappeared and that there were only the two of us. I responded with a smile and even if I did not see at that moment I knew my body had the footprint of humanity on it. I felt the burden of prejudice coming from the moment she started to smell bottles and I didn’t think for a moment she could be blind.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

Comments

1

Oh, this is such an interesting article...

  Marius Dumitru May 22, 2014 6:13 AM

About headtoheadineuropea


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Romania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.