Existing Member?

My World Domination Travel Book

Day 1...let the adventure begin

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 19 March 2013 | Views [237]

So….Day one has begun…

Finally arrived in Phnom Penh International Airport. Refuse to talk about the flights as there is never anything worth talking about. Got to say tho, going through Customs for the first time is nerve wracking, especially when the staff don't smile or give you any advice when you are trying to figure out what to do. I will also say Thank you to the american man in line who guided me  through it. 
SO….moving on to the more interesting times, walked out of the airport to see Vuthy, my guide, standing there with a "Hello Hayley" sign so i would know who he was. Then immediately after we have to walk across the highway to get to where his Tuk Tuk is parked…hmmm….Cambodian traffic…Vuthy held my hand and somehow we did not get run down by a Lexus 4WD or a moped or a tuk tuk. Another highlight of my first day was sitting in the back of this rickety old tuk tuk going the wrong way up a highway into oncoming traffic, there appear to be no road rules or even lanes to stick to, it is just drive and force your way through or look out, a lot of fun, and i could not wipe the smile off my face the entire time. 
After a crazy fun filled 30 minute drive through Phnom Penh, we arrive at my hotel, i promptly dump my stuff in my room and head straight back out again.
First stop was the Wot Phnom, a very intriguing temple area, with some beautiful monuments and traditions. It was also the first time I was hit on by a Khemer male, and as i expected he was very polite and funny about it. He allowed me to take some great shots inside the temple (see my pics)
Then it was another dash through some colourful neighbourhoods as we heading to the National Museum. Got to say, some of the artefacts are brilliant, but i did not appreciate the staff trying to confiscate my camera as pictures inside were not aloud. I got given some flowers to give to a Buddah statue with a US$1 note to be blessed though, so that was nice. 
On to the Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda….impressive…so hard to really grasp that these are these beautiful breath taking buildings, when out in the street are beggars and kids and rubbish every where, with a lovely odour to match. Phnom Penh is definitely a city of contrast….
Tonight Vuthy took  me out to dinner Khmer style with some of his good friends, Peeta, Sofy, and i can't remember the other guys name,  so i can get a taste for that side of Cambodian Culture as well. It was zoo much fun, had the best time…talk about being welcomes to the country. The food was amazing, seafood and steak to share around and dip in these pepper lemon sauces you mix up yourself at the table…delicious. Then there was the matter of drinks. I thought when i agreed to a whisky, it would come by the glass. Oh no, its ab bottle of whisky for you to drink with dinner, with a couple cans of warm coke to put over ice. hmmmm….nice, Johnny Walker Black Label…except they "Cheers" and toast each other here every 2 minutes or more lol, and you are obliged to keep up, even though the others are drinking beer! Was a great night, lots of laughs, and stories and culture. And in the local restaurants here you can smoke where ever you want. Cant do that in the tourist spots but here you can. I paid the bill at the end, and was amazed that to feed 5 people well, including myself, and for countless jugs of beer and a small bottle of whisky only cost me US$47.
Going to go sleep of this whisky now, going to the Killing Fields tomorrow, and thats going to be an emotionally hard day. 

 

About hazzard86


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.