Existing Member?

What Is Up Next?

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 19 March 2012 | Views [217] | Scholarship Entry

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” - Mark Twain. I've always been a sucker for books, to me, books are gateway to places that I've always wanted to go even before I even knew it existed. The journey to the discovery of things, taste, perception, ideas exhilarates me. Out of all the books, one book spoke to me like none other, "Into The Wild" by Jon Krakauer. I'm sure many people have heard of the name Christopher McCandles and his feats but to me, his ideas connects with me. A tale about a man who gave up everything to find something. He spent his whole life away from people, away from the ties that binds a man only to find out that "Happiness is only real when shared". I soon thought to myself i had to find books that he read, books that gave him the epiphany to his magnificent ideas. Books like, "Call of The Wild" by Jack London, "Pleasure in The Pathless Woods" by Lord Byron, "Education of a Wandering Man" by Louis L'Amour. Through the eyes of these people that i understood, like a quote from St. Augustine, “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page."

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About haziq


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.