Existing Member?

The magnificence I found waiting for me

Oh That Reflection

IRELAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [272] | Scholarship Entry

I’ll never forget that day when I discovered the magnificence of the world around me.

No, not at first glance would anyone be able to distinguish the view as anything but a mirror. With the perfect symmetry between the green and white mountains and the identical reflection in the lake beneath, it was impossible to recognize which way was up.

There was almost a sort of silence, a mutual respect for the complete majesty and overwhelming grace that sat with the stillness of the mountains and lake beneath. In fact, our drives through Connemara were full of silence, because there existed no words that wouldn’t dampen that splendor.

Taking our first steps onto the mossy ground, covered in rocks and weeds, even the locals around us couldn’t speak, but just stood with a grin seeing their own backyard so still and sweet. It had been an entire lifetime for John Joe since he had experienced that flat water reflecting the Twelve Bens mountain range behind Lough Inagh.

By myself, I couldn’t even move my grounded and sandaled feet. I was too stunned, I couldn’t believe that life had led me to a point where everything in life I imagined could be possible. Although I know it sounded silly, I truly saw in those reflected mountains just exactly how much the world can reflect you, who you are now, and who you want to be.

And yes in that reflection I caught a glimpse of that mighty and strong presence those mountains had reflecting against peaceful and calm waters. Still waters. And yet how something so great and something seemingly so small could create together such a magnificent and breathtaking beauty. Not even the words I find could describe the windy and tranquil scene that day.

I wanted to stop, not go any further into County Galway just yet, and sit on these rocks in silence. Even if the noises of family and friends bounced all around me, I wanted to just watch what the Earth put on display that day, that beautiful and fateful day when I saw in myself the ability to fully bask in this moment and still cherish what I had ahead of me.

No, I’ll never forget that day when I found the dignity held in those mountains, in that lough, and the grandeur I found in my heart that day.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About hayleysawyer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.