Existing Member?

Solo: A journey of a woman

Living out of a suitcase - Careful what you wish for!

DENMARK | Saturday, 19 July 2008 | Views [354]

At the moment, I am in Copenhagen, Denmark and while crashing at my folks place, am trying to evaluate my thoughts. A year ago, I didn't realize that the decision I was making will partly displace me mentally more than physically. I guess it is easier to overcome physical displacement today than mental displacement. In this context I will have to define what I mean when I say "mental displacement". In this connection I would like to make a point, that perhaps not many of you will buy my definition of "mental displacement", but I guess over the years not only process but also the circumstances change your point of view even towards traveling. Today people have different purposes when they travel. Some of you travel in relation to your business, some people travel for pleasure, or a vacation. People are constantly traveling from one place to another, from one continent to another. Some are traveling solo, and some are accompanied by friends, or family members, or colleagues. But I think then there comes a time when you feel that this constant displacement is causing you mental displacement than physical displacement. A feeling of belonging somewhere. A feeling of being a part of one particular society, and for how long? Being at one place for a month or so doesn't mean that you are a part of that society. You miss out a lot on how people grow old and things change in your neighborhood. How your school friends are graduating and settling down. There is a lot that you miss out, and this is up to you to decide whether you want to be a part of all this. I guess this is the time in my life where I have been feeling mentally displaced. A year ago, when I decided to move to England in order to pursue my bachelors degree in social sciences, I didn't know that I will be traveling back and forth so often between Denmark and England. Traveling as a concept sounds fun, but I guess not always. It gets frustrating -packing, unpacking, packing and then again unpacking. constant displacement. It is hard - it is not that I don't love traveling. I think I am cursed and if I don't travel every 2-3 months, I feel i am going crazy. However, I also want a place - A real place where all my things are in order. Previously, I have been traveling a lot for pleasure and then came a time when I was fed up of it. Not in a bad way, but I wanted to give my trips a meaning. After moving to England last year, I only traveled between Denmark and England - extensively. It was intended primarily because of two reasons. Firstly, that I wanted to take a break in order to reflect and give my self some time to think and reflect. Secondly, because by doing domestic travel, I still wanted to continue traveling as I can't picture myself without it. Now that I have realized that this is not going to end, therefore instead focusing at present, I need to figure out how I want my life to be in the future. If that's how it's meant to be for me, then I rather make it even more adventurous.

Tags: evaluation of thoughts

About hawkace


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.