Existing Member?

a note from a girl living in a landlocked country

Its more fun in the philippines

PHILIPPINES | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [209] | Scholarship Entry

It’s more fun in the Philippines
I believe I am those lucky people who somehow stumbled across a path which had great traveling opportunities now and then for work or sign seeing purposes. One of those heaven sent chances opened up on my path last February taking me to a place which I have not even in my wildest dreams though will be able to see; The Philippines the second largest archipelago in the world made up of 7107 islands with a population of 103 million people. Yes 7017 islands, a number which I can’t seem to wrap my mind around still especially when you add the fact that I am a girl born and raised in Ethiopia a landlocked country in East Africa.
I was draw to the ‘mixed’ up very unique culture of the Philippines. Due to its very strategic location in the south east Asia, and as I have been told with the strong cross continent and country trading activities of Chinese and Indians throughout the centuries and three centuries of Spanish rule and 48 years of United State government have left their mark. Not only people but different cultures, traditions, languages, way of life and religions have migrated to the Philippines from all over the world and have stayed deeply rooted. While the Spanish catholic religion, names and pork diet seem to dominate; the English language which is the second official language and basketball which is the national sport has America written all over it; the Japanese have won out in the entertainment section with karaoke being the number one most enjoyable activity in the Philippines . From the things adopted from the visitors for me two things stood out the most the century Old Catholic churches made out of lime stones, with very high ceilings beautifully decorated in the inside with paintings and compounds with bright flower beds, AND a basketball game in one of the several basketball courts overlooking the blue glittering ocean, simply you can’t beat the view on both accounts.
Filipinos love their dried fish and rice which is the staple food for millions of people. Dipped in a vinegar and soya sauce the dried fish is something worth enjoying as part of a meal or a snack. Someone told me that the Philippines has a coastline twice the size of America., that means several white sands beach, coral reefs, and ocean views for me. I'll never forget the blessed day which took me to the land of 7107 islands

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About hawariatp


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.