Existing Member?

G&B flee GB over land and sea

Pushkar

INDIA | Sunday, 23 November 2008 | Views [381] | Comments [1]

We caught the train at 7am to Pushkar from Udaipur. I was wide awake when the alarm went off at 5am. The amazing echoes of Hotel Narayan Niwas meant that everyone was treated to the snoring of one guest in stereo surround sound. The train was, of course, much slower than scheduled, stopping for about half an hour at each station. There was am umeasy moment when Ben and a few others stepped off to get a snack at one stop. Unaware that a long horn meant the train was about to depart, the carriage started moving without them on it. Through the window I saw a look of panic on Ben's face as he abandoned his two cups of chai tea, dropped a samosa and made a run for the moving door, just making it.

Pushkar is a holy town - no meat, eggs or alcohol and lots of priests, genuine and fake,trying to get 100 rupees out of you for a blessing at the lake. The atmosphere was a lot more relaxed and we enjoyed wandering around and sipping a cup of chai overlooking the water.

Of the many temples in the town, the Savritki temple is at the top of a massive hill. Just before sunset a group of us headed off and I gave my trekking sandals their first proper workout. Ben seemed to stride up quite easily whilst my shaking thighs nearly clapped out near the top. Sipping (overpriced) lemonade at the top, looking over the spectacular view was worth it.

Comments

1

keep it going george im wetting myself ,,,,,sound fun ,,, i can imagine bens face as the train started to leave priceless !!!! you could make a comedy out of it !!!! and your shaking thigh made me laugh out loud


superb

  dom Nov 25, 2008 9:04 AM

About harrisg


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.