Existing Member?

Gunkanjima: Post-Apocalyptic Wonderland

Gunkanjima

JAPAN | Monday, 25 May 2015 | Views [213] | Scholarship Entry

Every tourist visits Tokyo and Kyoto and Japan's reputation as a destination for top-notch religious sights, exceptional food, and quirky modern consumerism is well known. However, Japan has long been an industrial powerhouse and is on the forefront of developing a new wave of tourist-oriented homages to its industrial past.

Because of its tragic nuclear history, Nagasaki may seem like an unlikely tourist destination. However, the city was once a thriving commercial center and its old industrial glory is paving the way for a number of unexpected tourist gems.

Located just 20 km from Nagasaki port, Hashima is the first modern industrial sight to be nominated for World Heritage status. Known locally as Gunkanjima (Battleship Island) because of its resemblance to a warship, Hashima is a deserted island and coal mine that was used from 1890 - 1974. In 1959, this tiny 480 m long island was the most densely populated place on Earth. Today, it is an abandoned wasteland preserved solely for tourists.

Visitors reach the island on organized tour boats departing from Nagasaki port. The trip takes 1 hour each way and guests spend 1 hour on the island visiting two designated observation areas. On approach, Gunkanjima is otherworldly. The eerie post-apocalyptic island has been battered by typhoons and war leaving only a crumbling and dark reminder of its former glory. Upon landing, you can't help but feel like you've stepped into a frozen moment from a dream in the 2010 Leonard DiCaprio Sci-Fi thriller Inception. Perhaps one of the reasons Gunkanjima was the inspiration for the villain Raoul Silva's lair in the James Bond movie Skyfall.

To visit, reserve a ticket on one of numerous operators such as Yamasa Kaiun (http://www.gunkan-jima.net). Tours depart in the morning and early afternoon but landings are subject to weather and are not guaranteed. Prices on Yamasa Kaiun are 4,200 JPY with a 500 JPY discount for internet bookings. The best seats for the trip are on the right side of the upper deck. Advance reservations are essential. Visits are restricted to one hour and are guided. Unfortunately, they are only in Japanese but the info pamphlet handed out with your tickets covers most of the details. The island and boats are exposed so carry protection against the elements with you (umbrellas are not allowed). There are no facilities or bathrooms on the island itself so bring any necessary food or drinks and use the bathroom on the boat before you disembark.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About haroldnyc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.