Existing Member?

...and I took the one less traveled by

Living in Thailand

THAILAND | Thursday, 17 July 2008 | Views [496]

Well, if you haven't seen my email..... I have decided to stay and live in Thailand, Ko Phi Phi for the next 6 weeks. I will be training/working to become a dive master! This means pretty much 7 days a week I get up at 6:30 and don't leave the shop until 10pm or so. But, seeing as how I get to dive pretty much every day, this isn't as much "work".

Today is the first continually rainy day -- which I've been surprised how much it hasn't rained, being rainy season. This is the 2nd "dry" day I've had -- meaning I haven't gone diving. I was finishing up my Rescue Diver/ Emergency First Repsonse course yesterday (the written exams) and today I am taking care of paperwork for starting my Dive Master course-- including a trip to Phi Phi's hospital to be approved (in good health) for diving. This consisted of paying $10, having them look in my ears, and check my blood pressure. And... that was it!

THe other day when I went diving, I was with Pat who was taking some intros (people who have never dived before and aren't taking a course to learn). The one woman took awhile to get in the water, then got in, and said she couldn't do it... she's not really a water person to begin with. The other woman has taken her open water course, but every time she actually gets down under the water, she can't handle it, but really wants to be able to. Her brother was the other intro -- who was actually really good for never having been taught anything other than the little crash course. Our first dive consisted of 3 minutes... But they were good sports about it. THe 2nd dive the 2 women sat out. The brother, Brian, really enjoyed the dive. I have to say though, the best part of all of it.... they tipped at the end!! and very nicely at that! Pat and I both were tipped -- which really surprised me since I had done pretty much nothing. I'm not complaining though.

During the first dive we didn't really have some of the other groups saw two leopard sharks mating! Wish we had been able to see that. Ohwell!

Other than that, I dive, sit at the shop (at night after dinner we usually play cards). Our favorite Thai place has been closed all this week, probably because it's around a Buddhist holiday, but could be they just wanted to close for a bit. Neil, Pat & Ash are pretty much going through withdrawal from not having their Penang from there, which is quite funny because then they argue a lot over where to go eat for dinner.

A couple days ago diving it was just Pat & I (our group at least) in Palong Bay, which meant we could do more of whatever we wanted. I got to see a frog fish -- usually these blend in so well that even if you know where they are, if you take your eye off them you have to really look to find them again. They just kinda plant themselves in one place and move once a year... or very seldom. This silly frog fish was yellow with brown spots, on brown rock, but if you didn't know, you'd think it was coral or some growth. Nico (our videographer) pointed out some pipe fish (very small, 6 inches?) in a little alcove. We also found and octopus again. Watching them change colors instantly... I could sit there for an entire dive watching.

Earlier in the week I went to the wreck again-- even better visibility!! You could see the wreck standing on the boat!! After, we went to Anenome Reef & Shark Point again. Besides seeing a leopard shark, we saw a blue spotted stingray! Apparently these are not common, so Pat was really excited to see one, as were the rest of us!  :)

I'm posting some pictures from all of this, but its hard to see what is actually a good photo from thumbnail sizes. I will be making a best of when I get back home though! :) 

About happywanderer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.