Existing Member?

...and I took the one less traveled by

Khao San Rd -- The Beast

THAILAND | Sunday, 8 June 2008 | Views [571]

So after my post last night I went to find Dax. Not having a cell phone -- er, other people not having them so it doesn't matter if I do... is like when we were kids and had to plan a specific time and place to meet. Luckily he was still in his room in a hotel a few down from the one I use the internet at.

We walked up and down Khao San and finally decided to stop at Khao Sarn a big bar that is open to the street and some tables are out on the sidewalk. There were some beer girls from... Federated? beer. Something like that with a red feather as a symbol. They gave us free samples-- very good. With dinner I ended up ordering Chang beer, also good. I got tempura vegetables, but they were not at all what I expected, way too breaded, which I found odd. I think because of the place we were.

These same beer girls were all dressed with baggy white pants, heels, white wife beaters, red suspenders, and white 20s style gangster hats. part of their promo deal was to do kind of a fashion show/catwalk thing through the bar, to the street, where the theme song of the beer -- by Missy Eliot-- is played and they do a dance to it. Everyone was watching.

From there we walked around a bit, popped into "the club" -- it was all techno/house music and there were no more tables, and not yet crowded. not really the scene we were looking for anyway. We walked to the end of Khao San and went into a bar on the corner called Gulliver's Travels. I bought a Tiger beer (also good). Dax started talking to a Thai girl and I met 2 Israeli guys who had just finished with the Israeli Army. We had a good night there, and promptly at 2, the lights came on and everyone had to go. We had no idea that Bangkok had a 2am law/rule. So we left, and that was that, there was nothing else left to do.

Part of the fun that is going out in Bangkok/Thailand is guessing which women are prostitutes, and if they're actually women. It's a fun game to play in a bar, and to watch after hours. We sat in some chairs in front of the Pannee (where I use the internet) and watched women ask drunk men where they were headed... etc. 

***

Typical walk down Khao San, daytime:

the OJ Lady: "Orange Juice 10 Baaaahhhttt" <pause> REPEAT. over, and over.

"Tuk Tuk?" they always hold up their hands as if on handlebars and rev one of them.

"excuse me miss, where you going? taxi?"

I broke down and bought some things today. I went out last night and didn't really have anything semi cute to wear... so today I "splurged" and got a cotton dress, purse, and some board shorts -- i've been trying to find some I like that fit in the US and havent found any. knock off billabongs here? perfect. I bought some flip flops -- fake havianas the other day... total for all of those is about $25 -- could have been better but i wasn't as good/felt bad about haggling. The board shorts were my best yet:

Girl: You Like? 250B

Me: 150B

Girl: 225B

Me: 175B

Girl:180

SOLD. I'm sure other people could do much better, but it's already so cheap... love it.

Tags: bangkok, khao san, thailand

About happywanderer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.