Existing Member?

Hackett Travels Life's about the journey, not the destination

Heading North

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 12 June 2013 | Views [525]

No internet access yesterday so I'm catching up on 2 days again.

Yesterday we drove north from the edge of Perth and visited The Pinnacles on our way up to Geraldton.  The best way to describe this place is hundreds and hundreds of tall, slim rocks sticking out of the ground, or 'pinnacles'!  There are large ones, small ones and all different shapes.  We walked around some of them and then drove the track that went around the site.  They're quite amazing to see going on and on over several hills like a whole army of rocks.  There were also a couple of massive dunes nearby, like big hills but not right on the sea.  I'll post some pictures when I can.

We stayed overnight in Geraldton, checked out the red and white lighthouse this morning and then carried on up the coast road to the Kalbarri National Park.  On the way we stopped off at a pink lake - it was huge and has algae that makes betacarotine, giving it the colour.  It was the middle of the day so quite a lot of relfection on the water but you could definitely see a pink tinge!

In the National Park we went to several coastal lookouts along the cliffs and coastal formations - a bit like the great ocean road for anyone that's been there.  Spectacular coastline with big waves roaring in.  We then drove through Kalbarri on our way to the gorges.  Unfortunately the road to Nature's Window was closed as they're tarmacing it, which I was a bit disappointed about as I'd seen photos and it looks very cool - google Nature's Window Kalbarri if you want to check it out.  Instead we went up to another gorge and had a walk down to the river, which was more of a pond, I guess its been a bit dry here lately.  We did get back to Kalbarri in time for another beautiful sunset, while we were waiting for the sun to sink into the ocean we amused ourselves watching the pelicans trying to steal the fishermens' catch on the beach!  We're getting up for the pelican feeding in the morning so hopefully will get to feed one too!

Tomorrow's going to be a lot of driving on our way up to Monkey Mia so maybe won't post again until after we've seen the dolphins up there.

Tags: gorge, national park, pelican, sunset

About hannahhackett

At Cloudy Bay

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.