Existing Member?

From Melbourne to Malaysia

Thailand and beyond.....

THAILAND | Thursday, 4 June 2009 | Views [404] | Comments [1]

Ok so after finishing my placement in Malaysia we (Rachel, Kirri (another of the volunteers from another school) and I) flew to thailand. We stayed a night in Phuket, which isn't much to write home about but the hostel me stayed in was nice and it had free internet. Then we took a ferry to Ko Phi Phi where we spent 4 nights. It is a really beautiful place but quite touristy and busy..and we weren't even there in peak season. There we swum, went on a snorkelling trip and also went out a few times at night. The best this about this was undoubtly the fact that many bars on Phi Phi give away free alcohol, usually in small plastic buckets, every night. So we had a good time dancing and meeting some really nice people including some Welsh, English and Irish guys. Then we left Phi Phi island and spent 2 nights in a beach near Krabi called Ton Sai, which is one of the most beautiful beaches I have been to in my life. However there wasn't much to do here and the weather was a bit dodgy at times so we left to go to Ko Phangan (another island off the opposite coast). Ko Phangan was so peaceful and relaxing. We swum on the beach (which our bungolow was literally on) and worked on our tans. We also met a few really cool people including a German girl called Lena and a English guy called Peter.
Anyway so after Ko Phangan I went back to Phuket to fly back to KL while Kirri and Rachel left me to go up to Bangkok to start their 2 month Southeast Asia travels. I wanted to go with them to Chang Mai and Bangkok becuase although the islands of Thailand are really beautiful they are expensive (compared to the rest of Thailand) and I didn't get a feel for Thai culture at all really which was strange after getting to know a country so well in Malaysia. But hey i guess thats travel..you don't have time to see everything! It was also really weird to leave Rachel after living with her for so long and I miss her already.  

So....my future travels.....Well at the moment im in Malaysia again with my parents until the 7th of June when I fly out to LONDON!! to begin my 3 months for travel in Europe. Ill spend 2 weeks in England (where I will see Tilly) and 1 in Ireland (where I will meet up with Max) then I fly to Rome..1 and a half weeks in Italy then across the French riviera (probably stopping in Nice) to Spain for 2 weeks where I'll meet up with Meg, Tilly and Teagan. I might also go to portugal for a bit. Then I'll leave everyone to go to Belguim for a few days and meet Rachel on the 4th of August in Amsterdam. Then we are going to do Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Berlin, Prague, Vienna and Budapest spending about 3 days in each place. After that we fly to Edinburugh for the comedy fest, then fly to Bristol and I'll go to Rachel's house for the last few days. Then home on the 3rd of September. Ah... then I'll sleep...and try to find 50 jobs to get some money! So yeah Europe here I come! 

 

 

Comments

1

Hi Hannah,

We thought our travels were extensive. Glad you loved Thailand, well worth returning to.You sound like your time in Malaysia was a life changing experience; that's what teaching is all about and that's why I love it. Maybe you will go back to it someday.
Good luck with the trip; you will love Spain. We recommend Barcelona for its great Tapas bars.

Love,

Kathy & Paul

  kathryn_hendy_ekers Jun 21, 2009 12:49 AM

About hannahekers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.