Existing Member?

The SE Asia adventure begins... I am about to embark on a 3 month trip round Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand... Excited is not the word!

Bangkok Craziness!

THAILAND | Saturday, 24 July 2010 | Views [366]

We decided to get the overnight train from Chaing Mai to Bangkok which took 12hours and I was so impressed with this service. The train actually left on time which is always a bonus, I had my own bed with curtains and a little reading light, it was fab! Would definately recommend this mode of transport and it only cost £18, bargain!

We arrived in Bangkok around 7.30am and got a tuk tuk to our hostel which was located just off Kho San Road which is the main backpacker area of Bangkok. The driver strapped our bags to the back of his tuk tuk with abit of frayed rope- I was convinced that I was going to loose my luggage at any moment during that journey!! and of course the Bangkok traffic was as manic as ever, even at that time in the morning!

We stayed at a place called Rainbow Guest House which I swear is used for a 'rent a room by the hour' place as I saw so many men coming and going with the same woman- classy! That's what you get for £2 a night!!! 

We spent the first day trying to sort out transport and visa for Cambodia, this proved to be more difficult than originally thought and we felt like we were being scammed at every corner which in theory, we were!! Unfortunately, that's Kho San Road for you!

We eventually went with the not so dodgy company (that's what we thought) and had to pay £37 for the bus and visa for Cambodia. The bus was due to pick us up at 7.30am, take us to the border for Cambodia, get our passports stamped and then onto another bus to Siem Reap! What could possibly go wrong??. We decided after a hectic day that beer and people watching was needed! 

Our final day in Bangkok was spent visiting the Grand Palace, sampling more fruit smoothies and having a famous thai massage which involved the lady trying out some acrobat moves on me which I must say wasn't pleasant at times!!!, however for £2.50- I thought it was a bargain and was well needed!!

Next stop- Siem Reap, Cambodia! Let's hope we get there in one piece!!

About hannahbell

Me being silly!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.