Existing Member?

The SE Asia adventure begins... I am about to embark on a 3 month trip round Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand... Excited is not the word!

Kuala Lumpur & Beach Action on Tioman Island

MALAYSIA | Wednesday, 7 July 2010 | Views [475]

After filling up on our brekkie from our hotel in Dubai, we got our flight to Kuala Lumpur and got into the city around midnight. We stayed at a cool backpackers in China Town called Reggae Guest House! After sleeping in till 11am, we decided to go out and explore parts of the city. We went and took some touristy pictures of old buildings (you know the pics)! and as we were baking hot decided to go to the Reggae Bar for a bevy! This bar was very cool indeed! Judging by the name of it, the bar was full of pictures of Bob Marley and other reggae artists posters and memorabilia! I really wish my fellow reggae lovers were with me! You would love it! I ordered a Rum and Coke and Frankie ordered a Rum and Ginger Beer which blew our heads off! That night, we ventured out for our first experience of Malaysian street food and found a nice little place and had a nice meal for about a quid- bargain! I also purchased some fake ray-bans! Oh yeahhh!!!

The following day we decided to visit the Batu Caves, but first we had to get our bus tickets to Mersing! After finally finding the bus station, we had to go out of town to another bus depot to purchase or tickets- all very odd! As soon as we pulled in, memories of africa came back! All the touts were there, shouting and screaming at you before you'd even got off the bus! I thought, its hot and i really just want to get my ticket and get out of here! Ticket purchased, back on the bus into town to get another bus to the Batu Caves! What should have taken us half an hour took us an hour and a half! oh well, I need to remember I am on Malaysian time!

We got the bus to the Batu Caves and decided to sit by the door, big mistake as every time it opened, my foot nearly got trapped in the door! I thought, its a good job I have adequate travel insurance!

To get up to the caves, we had to climb some steepish steps and dodge the monkeys which we found out were EVIL ones on our way back down! More about that later... The caves were very cool in a weird way, total tourist trap but it was nice to see them and take some cool pics. Inside the caves, were lots of Hindu statues, these pieces of work are amazing and are the colours of them are incredible. So after taking a million photo's, we headed back down the steps passing the evil monkeys! These monkeys were vile and hissed, spat and were generally annoying! Frankie decided to wind one of them up, which wasn't such a great idea, as it soon hissed and took a swipe at her! We then decided it was time for ice cream and headed back into the city! I was quite impressed by the public transport up until the journey back- the driver was dreadful (I don't even think he had a license). He spent most of the time on his phone and talking to his mate who was sat on the floor, only used the brake at the last minute so every time you stopped you nearly fell off the seat! I should be grateful I even had a seat to be fair! On the evening, we tried some more street food- this time Laksa which was yum, although the lady was a little annoyed when I asked for no meat. She even started shouting some malay to all the other locals- she was probably shouting. no meat- who is this girl!

The following day, we got a coach to Mersing. After being used to African public transport, I don't really have any expectations with regards to transport as your mainly always dis-appointed! However this coach was amazing! I had my own seat which was a bonus, the seat even reclined back- Genius! and I even had room to put my day bag in front of my seat- what luxury! 


The journey lasted around 5 1/2 hours, then we had to get a 2 hour ferry journey to Tioman Island. I'm not very good on boats (must follow my Aunty Lynn), so took some travel calm tablets and knocked myself out for a couple of hours- its always a winner! Finally reached Tioman Island and ventured to find some accommodation- we ended up staying at 'My Friend's Place'. We had our own room with ensuite- whoo! However in the ensuite we had no sink and the flush on the toilet didn't work- thats what you get when you pay 3quid a night! For the next 5 days I mainly sunbathed, read books, did abit of snorkeling and drank far too much beer, whiskey and coke and neat rum (who's idea was this)! All in all, I had a cool time and it was nice to get away from the hustle of city life! Next stop- Singapore!

About hannahbell

Me being silly!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.