Existing Member?

Hanna Butler Journeys

Travellers currency

INDONESIA | Sunday, 1 July 2012 | Views [1406]

Stuart, sharing stories of the road.

Stuart, sharing stories of the road.

One of the things I love about travelling is meeting other travellers.  There is an understanding between travellers, which is often hard to find back at home.

I have a lot of family and friends who just don’t get why I routinely pack up my life and disappear for months to live out of a backpack. They ask when will I settle down or when I will get a real job and come home. The answer to their questions is always never.

After a week in Bali with Stuart McDonald the co-founder of Travelfish, between half-climbing volcanos, learning to surf, getting healed and vexed and a lot of time in the car navigating on roads that define  off the beaten track, we have exchanged a lot of travellers currency. The currency of travellers are their stories of bus trips, crazy people, near death experiences, stomach problems and what generally possesses us to keep doing it.

While we could have swapped tales all day about where we have been and where we want to go, but Stuart’s job was to help me turn my travelling into a career as a travel writer. The knowledge, tips, and general kick up the bum Stuart has given me to start writing is invaluable.  If you want to read Stuart’s advice for me, you can check it out here.

 And then in true traveller style, you leave for the next destination and disappear. But the joy with being on the road is travellers might just meet each other on the road again. 

About hanna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.