Existing Member?

Hanna Butler Journeys

Itchy fingers and feet

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 19 June 2012 | Views [932]

Airports are unusual places. A no man’s land of cheap booze and perfume. People of all shapes and sizes sit and wait for their call to come and go.

For a people watcher like me, this hold of people is heaven. I sit, watch and wonder where they have been and where they are going. The Kiwi bloke wearing short rugby shorts must be going somewhere warm, as its two degrees outside. The old Indian Grandmother’s sari isn’t designed for the weather she is leaving. Adapting by adding a balaclava and socks under her sandals.

I have always thought there is a certain magic in the air at airports. Everyone sitting waiting, are all on journeys, whether they are ending or just beginning. This too is true for me as I wait for my flight to Singapore, for leg one of the World Nomads Travel Writing Scholarship.

It is a huge opportunity for me to launch my career as a travel writer. I’m a recent graduate of journalism school, but have spent most of the last ten years in the charity sector in community fundraising and engagement. 

On the road you are more likely to find me at a beauty parlour trying to explain the haircut I want to women who don't speak English, than in a tour group or a museum. I love finding the extraordinary in the ordinary, and believe everyday travel at home is just as important as when it takes you around the world. 

So thank you World Nomads for this opportunity that has me sitting here, waiting and watching and ready to go. My fingers are itching to write and my feet are itching travel. 

About hanna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.